Ohio lawmaker who suggested "colored population" getting Covid will lead official health panel

Totally agree with that too. As I said above, racism is a factor in care and treatment - which means that the death rate will be higher as a result. :confused:

I’m agreeing with all of these things. I just didn’t understand what specifically mindysan was talking about.

And born in 1964. This guy grew up knowing that the locution is offensive.

2 Likes

I’ve gone right back to the beginning, and I think all of the possibilities have been addressed. What, specifically, are you not understanding? Because I think she and I have covered all the bases, here.

5 Likes

Huffman (and anyone else who would make such racist comments) has no place being involved in public healthcare policy. The fact that he is now leading an official health panel is just another example of unqualified people failing upward because the GOP prefers ideological purity over actual expertise. (Yes, I know that he is an MD. Healthcare policy is about more than that, and a healthcare policy expert would know better than to say something like that.)

4 Likes

Systemic racism affects the psyche of those inflicted & depresses the immune system as a result.
Of course, economics plays into this; substandard housing, food & medical care deserts, etc.
Hence, the overall lower life expectancy of Blacks in this country.
But those conditions are based on racism.
Ever hear of the term ‘White Flight’?

5 Likes

Imagine if you will that some venom-tongued politician goes around perpetuating a myth that infection among POC is due to poor hygiene. This myth not only adds to the stigma of having COVID-19, but effectively turns a PCR test into a referendum on one’s personal hygiene habits (but only for people who happen to be POC). Imagine that there are people who are hesitant to take a PCR test because of the stigma that a positive test result may bring, which is now doubled if a person showing symptoms happens to be a person of color. Imagine that some people might not want to have their hygiene practices questioned when seeking medical attention just because of a stupid myth. Imagine people holding off on taking PCR tests for that reason. Think about what undertesting does to community infection rates.

Racism is a shit sandwich all the way down.

5 Likes

Harassment of Black men who wear masks in public?

When the CDC issued guidelines in early March asking people to wear masks to prevent the spread of coronavirus, the question for many Black men was not where to get a mask or which kind. It was: How do I cover my face and not get shot?

6 Likes

Also the disproportionately high number of Black people who have to spend time in COVID hotspots like prisons, jails, holding cells and police vans.

1 Like

For all the reasons stated in several posts by me and others above. If the only employment options are service jobs, it’s harder to stay home, and minorities are forced to take those jobs more frequently than whites and have less social mobility.

This.

That’s what I don’t get, too.

But again, what the guy said WAS RACIST. Full stop. We must stop giving politicians especially a pass on this stuff. It’s not out of ignorance. They know what they do. They’re making a choice to stand against racial justice and equality. It’s time to stop pretending they’re just ignorant or that “both sides” have some “very good people.” If someone believes that certain people are lesser than because of their race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, etc, whatever, then YES THEY ARE BAD PEOPLE WHO SHOULD NOT BE IN OFFICE.

How are we STILL debating this in 2021!!!

9 Likes

I’m sorry I’m not being clear.

First off, I am not debating at all what this guys said had any hint of acceptability. Nor debating that his point had any validity whatsoever. I said that in post one - there is no evidence to show his point had merit.

Second, I am well aware and agree America is rife with racism from a systemic level. Top to bottom.

I surmised that their higher infection rate had more to do with the jobs that required them to be at work, vs working from home. I was addressing specifically why they have a higher infection rate. You said that, “Entrenched, systemic racism comes into play, too… It’s not just about economics.”

So I thought it went with out saying that where minorities live and work and the jobs they have are heavily skewed due to systemic racism. Yes, the increased number in service jobs or jobs where you can’t telework is rooted in systemic racism. But your comment made it sound like there was some other issue less obvious to me.

You clarified with:
“If the only employment options are service jobs, it’s harder to stay home, and minorities are forced to take those jobs more frequently than whites and have less social mobility.”

So we are saying the same thing. It is clear now you were just adding to my point that the reason they disproportionately have those jobs is due to systemic racism.

Thanks to the other posters they did give a few other examples. It was things like these I thought you were referring to.

One other poster mentioned public transportation use, where people are in closer proximity.

1 Like

Which I also mentioned.

Others mentioned the long term health effects of systemic racism that plays a role in the higher death rate. Plus, the Trump administration dropping any pretense of a national plan once they figured out a) it was hitting democratic states harder and b) (less discussed by the media) that it was hitting communities of color harder.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.