Ohio's Dissident Homeschool Network instructs 2,500 members on how to raise "wonderful Nazis"

As people who homeschool (at first because of COVID but now just because we love it and we can afford to) fuck these clowns. Imma teach my kids Howard Zinn’s People’s History twice as hard next week just to spite these fuckers.

23 Likes

Indeed. Just make homeschooling illegal. Every child deserves to be brought up in society

3 Likes

As the mother of a kid who was bullied from Day 1 and was ideating suicide by THIRD grade and the public school did nothing to help and quite a few things to make the situation worse, I cannot agree with that blanket statement. I am one of many parents who are reluctant homeschoolers because there wasn’t any other viable option. It sucks. I firmly believe in public education, but in this particular case, the public education system where I live does not believe in my kid.

So, back on topic of unregulated homeschooling, I live in a state with no rules or regulations at all, and I wish there were some to minimize disgusting shit like in the original post and to require minimum standards.

25 Likes

5 Likes

Homeschooling can and quite often does go hand-in-hand with social isolation and ideological control - particularly given how much homeschooling is motivated by religious extremism - but it doesn’t have to. I actually agree with you that people deliberately isolating their children is a huge problem that opens up kids in closed communities to abuse and neglect, not to mention the ideological indoctrination.

I don’t think a blanket ban on homeschooling is the answer, at least I hope not. My kids take plenty of extracurricular classes with various groups of kids, and I wish the offerings would expand. Homeschooling networks are out there, though we’ve avoided them as they tend to be a little intense, or ideological. The opportunity to do interest-driven and project-based learning is so great though, and of course, yes, it’s nice to skip past the bullying and enforced conformity orchestrated by the one sociopathic kid everyone remembers from grade school.

We are very privileged to have the flexibility to homeschool, though we do live pretty “frugally” to afford that flexibility. I wish that kind of choice, or at least some more flexibility were available to all. I’d love to see schools become a true center of the community, offering classes and resources for children and adults of all ages, material supports and training for adults and group activities for kids wherever they are at in their interests and development.

12 Likes

Ummm, phrasing?

4 Likes

sorry. it is an old school epithet i heard growing up in texass.
i always understood it to have an implied “up” after the “fuck 'em”.
i do hope i’m not using it wrong.
ETA: of course fish don’t deserve the poison, either…
maybe i need to rethink that one. :thinking:

7 Likes

Carp don’t care. They seem to be watery alchemists (like vultures are sky alchemists) who can eat damn near anything.

7 Likes

carp… deep sea hagfish…
cool, yeah… that’s what i meant!

4 Likes

Feed 'em to the bone worms.

6 Likes

Shocked Raven Symone GIF by The Animal Crackers Movie

6 Likes

Sorry, mate! Couldn’t find the vid I first saw 'em in - it had shown V pretty reddish ones wif lotsa lovely feathery bits.

4 Likes

But even where it’s more regulated, there’s nothing preventing homeschoolers from including extra stuff, as long as they’re covering the bare minimum, AFAIK. Unlike in public schooling in some places now where instructors can’t talk about gender or race, or, or, or.
My point being, homeschoolers will always only be held to providing instruction on the minimum standards, and won’t be able to be penalized for providing additional education on morality or sexuality or any of the things under attack in the public education sphere. Where public schools can cover all the basic requirements, and then still be very limited on what else they’re able to cover.
Hmmm, making me think this should come up more in the whole “school vouchers” debate. Speaking as someone also in full support of public education.
P.S. sorry your family had to deal with that. :cry: you’re good parents for paying attention and responding.

12 Likes

May all bullies reach complete Enlightenment, as quickly as possible.

[My favorite curse.]

11 Likes

“and may I, as Boddhisatva, hold the door to let them pass, even before I. * Untill all sentient beings are free of suffering”
i like your style.
[*] edited to add that last part. i just remembered the rest of the vow

9 Likes

You’ve got great style yrself.

8 Likes

No. We will need homeschooling for LGBTQIA+ children if Republican hate spreads and grows.

14 Likes

I went looking for some samples of their “lesson plans,” but couldn’t find any. Just the sample writing assignments, which are lower-level, in the educational hierarchy.
I’m almost certain that on top of being moral dumpster fires, they won’t be instructionally sound. This is more a professional curiosity than anything.
Has anyone seen any?

7 Likes

The idea of teaching a child that Robert E. Lee should be emulated amuses me inordinately. “Hey, this loser who was famous for losing is our hero!”

3 Likes

The curricula available for normal homeschooling programmes are bad enough. Xtianists leapt at the opportunity to flood the market not only with materials that explicitly promoted religious fundie doctrine but also products that did it more covertly. One of the biggest complaints you’ll hear from secular parents who want to teach their kids at home is how few off-the-shelf alternatives there are to the Jeebus-infused garbage.

I’m sure it’s not difficult for these Nazis to adapt an existing Xtianist curriculum to their needs.

11 Likes