Ohio's JD Vance suggested women stay in violent relationships

Originally published at: Ohio's JD Vance suggested women stay in violent relationships | Boing Boing

6 Likes

So, stay together – even if the relationship is violent – otherwise it wouldn’t “work out for the kids”.

Children, psychologically scarred for life from growing up in a violent household, would have a word or two to say to Vance.

28 Likes

Reading between the lines, I wonder if Senator JD Vance is worried that his wife is going to go public about spousal abuse?

27 Likes

Winner, winner, chicken dinner. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

17 Likes

J.D. Vance, whose campaign is funded by billionaire fascist weirdo Peter Thiel.

10 Likes

Get fucked, Vance.

15 Likes

In college I wrote a research paper consolidating studies that showed that marital discord, and not divorce itself, was detrimental to child development and well being. The metric used was scholastic performance. Kids in intact homes and divorced and living apart homes scored within a standard deviation of each other (A and B total GPA), while children in homes with marital discord (fighting, verbal and physical abuse) scored significantly worse (C to D total GPA).

The conclusion was that “staying together for the kids) was more harmful than separating and divorcing. I published the paper with my academic advisor, who helped prepare it for publication.

28 Likes

It’s important to model profoundly damaging behavior for your children; and not just assume that society will handle that for you. How can you even say you’ve done your part to acculturate your child if you don’t leave them with enough baggage to potentially warp their relationships with their own children?

9 Likes

By himself, preferably.

5 Likes

My thoughts exactly. I really hope she does. Especially on the campaign trail.

1 Like

Let us not hope that anyone is an abused spouse.

10 Likes

But if they are, its best to air it out. Violent bullies depend on people being too scared to speak out.

5 Likes

Statistically there is a reasonable chance but I personally doubt he is sufficiently interested in self reflection to consider how what he is saying relates to his own life. Even if he is a spousal abuser, I doubt he thinks of himself as one so it wouldn’t occur to him to relate these statements to that.

6 Likes

Spousal abuse is often justified by the Strict Father Model of parenting and family to which so many right-wingers subscribe. This dangerous fascist is playing to that crowd.

13 Likes

Ugh, he’s mixing the right-wing paternalistic and racist talking points with the misogyny, too:

5 Likes

Damn, I just learned from that MSNBC story that Missouri prevents pregnant women from getting divorced. How is that not a bigger story?

3 Likes

It’s been posted in several other threads here (not sure where off the top of my head). But yeah, it should be getting more attention from the media…

4 Likes

I couldn’t moved out of MO at a better time.

I just voted early to keep abortion protections in KS. The wording of the question and the ads I have seen supporting it are so fucked up and wrong, it is embarrassing. The primary election is August 2nd and hopefully KS will keep the protections. :confused:

1 Like

Looks like Vance would have no problem with the culture of Randy Newman’s “Old Kentucky Home,” though he would counsel Brother Gene’s little woman to hang in there.

Brother Gene, he’s big and mean, and don’t have much to say.
Had a little woman that he whupped each day, but now she’s gone away.
Got drunk last night and kicked Mama down the stairs, but I’m all right, so I don’t care.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.