Oklahoma bill requires"furry" children to be removed from school by parents or animal control

Originally published at: Oklahoma bill requires"furry" children to be removed from school by parents or animal control - Boing Boing

4 Likes

deleted.

7 Likes

deleted

4 Likes

He also tried passing a law to establish a Bigfoot hunting season.

5 Likes

How about the children getting caught up in it? Or the furries in general?

I guess since it’s a weird subculture, it’s just a big joke, and not the fascist threat that it actually is… And that is how they find room in society to flourish. Fascists focus on marginalized groups, then expand to everyone else. It’s pretty sad that a community that I thought was known for it’s embrace of the weird and general tolerance is falling for this shit by not taking it seriously…

23 Likes

Anthropomorphic literally means “having human characteristics” (for example “C3PO is an anthropomorphic robot but R2D2 is not.”). Furries would be the least anthropomorphic students in school. I think Justin needs to go back to school himself.

21 Likes

This is just another means of attacking a subculture that they view as “sexual deviants”… they don’t really care if they get the language “correct”, they care that children who do not conform to what they consider the “norm” are forced to conform or end up dead.

25 Likes

“students who purport to be an imaginary animal or animal species, or who engage in anthropomorphic behavior commonly referred to as furries at school.”

Like, what all are furries up to in school? I am sure since it has reached mainstream knowledge about it, there are a lot of kids in HS (or younger) who consider themselves furries. I knew several kids in HS who liked (and were good at drawing) anthropomorphic characters (not sure if they ever became furries or not, but lots of people loved shows like Tail Spin, or Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers, or Tiny Toons, etc)

But like, what does that mean in school? Animal ears or maybe a a tail on a belt? I highly doubt it is anything beyond that and the issue is imagined problems, like the litter box hoax that was going around

TL;DR Unless presented with other evidence, I think this is a non-issue and just another example of “big government” trying to control people. They are wasting time and oppressing people for culture war points.

7 Likes

Wonder what the animal control officers will think of this brilliant plan.

7 Likes

That, and/or going after any queer kids. There are a lot of LGBTQ+ people in the furry fandom.

22 Likes

I live in Michigan, there is still a persistent myth that Michigan schools put litter boxes in bathrooms for the kids to use.

It came from a single comment by a nut job at a school board meeting.

I still hear people angry about it, they really think it’s true.

It’s absurd that anyone would believe something like that but here we are.

18 Likes

Exactly… this is just like any other subculture deemed “deviant” by some in the parent culture. They’re not doing anything particularly bad or wrong, just what some perceive as weird. All of us gen Xers likely remember the targeting of kids playing D&D and punks, and millennials surely remember the aftermath of columbine…

Yep and I suspect that these assholes are aware of that fact…

18 Likes

Shocked Animal Crossing GIF by Mashed

3 Likes

I wish I could find mirth in the absurdity of this, but things are too far gone now and I can only see it for what it is…

19 Likes

I feel ya…

Sesame Street Hug GIF by ABC Network

17 Likes

Thanks

9 Likes

I completely assumed that this whole thing is 100% in response to the transphobic myth that schools were keeping kitty litter in classrooms for the use of children who “identified as cats.” (The reality being that schools were keeping kitty litter in classrooms for the use of children who are trapped by mass shooter lock-downs.)

Republicans getting bent out of shape about completely imaginary problems and writing legislation to address a myth - all without discovering/acknowledging that it is a myth - and in the worst, least humane, most horrific possible way, while also ignoring actual problems is just so “on brand” for them these days.

18 Likes

Fucking fasscholes.

Leave the furries alone, for fuck sake. They are arent hurting anyone, and there are actual, real problems that need our attention much more…

19 Likes

Agencylife Bingo GIF by MX Player

see also:

10 Likes

So, since humans are animals, apparently animal control would have their new day job as being anti-truancy officers, trying to remove all the humans from the school system.

Would also make the team mascot the most challenging position to play.

It is totally normal behavior for human children to play at being animals. Singing “Old MacDonald” could be against the law. Suggesting normal behaviors be criminalized is ignorant , harmful and hateful.

I hope animal control tackles him and takes him away for being a jackass.

4 Likes