Oklahoma City's Legends Tower to be America's tallest skyscraper

I imagine every tenant would expect parking. Is that the case for any of the other top 10 or 20 structures? I hear people in construction groan over impact reports—I’m wondering what the changes to traffic that would be required to accommodate this? I would think a large portion of your commute would be parking.

There are only two interesting towers in OKC: the First National Center, a great example of 1930s Art Deco Neoclassical style, and the Founder’s Tower, which isn’t really anywhere near downtown. Adding this skyscraper to OKC’s skyline won’t improve it a bit.

This is the giant flag pole of the great plains. A dumb idea full of fury and signifying rich people are truly numb nuts. I doubt it will get any further than the 1776 flag pole has, too. Which is to say “0 feet and a moratorium on building anything like it.”

2 Likes

High-rise buildings only make sense when land is at a premium (i.e. absolutely not there). Dollars per square foot of space in the building increases with the number of floors, with the cost of space basically doubling even when going from a five story building to even an 11 story building. Wasted space - along with design, construction, maintenance and operating costs - increases non-linearly with height. When making something this tall, it’s super-inefficient. There’s no way they could possibly offer remotely comparable rents to other buildings in the area. (Local high-rises are already fulfilling the “overpriced prestige office space” market, and they’d be substantially cheaper.) The economics make so little sense, I’m convinced that whatever this plan is for, it’s not because anyone is even seriously considering building this, much less do they intend to actually build it.

5 Likes

As long as you are not a Flat Earther.

Seems to me another instance of this

2 Likes

They really should bring back those. I’d even be okay with blimps using them, too.

4 Likes

I’m not going to lie; I love observation decks on tall buildings and towers. But the idea is to have a view to look down on in the first place.

3 Likes

America’s Baku?

3 Likes

I remember doing that at Tokyo Tower and the metropolitan government building. :blush: There was even an earthquake when I was at the latter … never felt it. Did feel the building swaying in the wind, though, which freaked me out at first…

1 Like

Gotta be careful with those.

Per Wikipedia:

4 Likes

What’s not to like?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.