Oklahoma mayor defends husband who wore KKK costume

The laziness! Didn’t even bother to blackleg, which sounds like a horrible disease.

New Guiness world record for apologizing for a racist?

I suspect that it isn’t always a mere excuse: they don’t say in vino veritas for nothing; so I suspect that more than a few more-honest-than-tactful moments started with some drinking and moved on from there.

5 Likes

My understanding of the history is that’s how the KKK got started in the first place. Bored Confederate veterans thought it’d be fun to dress up as ghosts and stir up some trouble.

Things got out of control but in a way that happened to benefit their beliefs so they kept it up.

3 Likes

I think it’s a bit of an exaggeration to say she’s “defending her husband” given that she used the phrase “some very bad choices” and that she’s “devastated” and “embarrassed”. As defenses go, it’s pretty lukewarm; she’s saying he didn’t do anything illegal, just dumb.

Which is probably true, though I think there’s a gray area involving implicit threats here, whether or not the cross actually ignited.

1 Like

“good ol’ boys” here means just what I think it does, right?

4 Likes

@beschizza As stupid as everyone is in this story, let’s not screw up the quotations. You fused two quotes by cutting and pasting, one by the mayor and one by the sheriff. “They were holding it up next to the cross.” is the end of the mayor’s quote, “The fire was legal…” is the start of the sheriff’s quote. All that stuff about the “right of speech” is the sheriff, not the mayor.

1 Like

She doesn’t have to, she’s in Oklahoma.

She’ll get MORE votes in the next election, now.

1 Like

God. Education gets blamed for e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g. Sometimes you can do only so much in six hours.

2 Likes

Well, when the husband of an elected official can’t refrain from phrases like “the subject got brung up” when talking to a news organization

It is funny how the Mayor’s statements are so much better worded.

Bad phrasing on my part, though… I think the education system’s doing relatively well with the pressures being put on it.

3 Likes

Mr Hat is just a good ol’ boy…
hat white power

5 Likes
4 Likes

From your link:

The racial makeup of the town was 95.84% White, 0.69% African American, 1.21% Native American, 0.52% Asian, 0.35% from other races, and 1.39% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.47% of the population.

Considering the fact that it was Native land not that long ago, that’s a shockingly white town.

1 Like

Wait till we get more “reports” that these fellas “aren’t racist”.

Soon the Sheriff will tell us that one of them has a black girlfriend.

4 Likes

Ugh. Too soon.

1 Like

“beats all you ever saw, been in trouble with the law since the day they were born”

ok, so I watched Dukes of Hazard a lot when I was 14. Sue me… :smile: It was mostly for the short shorts. And for some reason, squealing tires on dirt roads.

3 Likes

The Dukes of Hazzard was a show about an imaginary South with eucalyptus trees and no black people, like The Andy Griffith Show. Where was it supposed to be? Georgia? Kentucky? Of course as a little kid I didn’t know the difference.

2 Likes

What - no black people?

Did you even watch the show?

(OK - fair point, not very many black characters. It was more of a California lampoon of the south.)

2 Likes

I had to look it up - Georgia. It was of course, filmed in CA, hence all the eucalyptus trees…
You have to wonder about adults that loved that show… Jesus.

1 Like