Olympics & Paralympics

No. They started in 2016, in Rio.

https://www.unhcr.org/rio-2016-refugee-olympic-team.html

6 Likes
3 Likes

Cross post from Continued Coronavirus Happeningsā€¦

Today, Tokyo reported 4,058 new cases of COVID-19. On Tuesday, it was 2,848 and that was a new record at the time.

Theyā€™re still doing the Olympicsā€¦

As I always say when someone thinks satire is real: satire is only funny because itā€™s hard to distinguish from reality. Never feel ashamed of it, it just means the satirist is on her game. And that shit was brilliant.

5 Likes
9 Likes
5 Likes
8 Likes
4 Likes

Mrs Ficus likes to watch the equestrian events and we saw this happen. Didnā€™t necessarily look bad from the TV vantage point but once the course halt was called and the horse ambulance pulled up you knew things were bad.

5 Likes

Poor horse. I donā€™t understand equestrian events in the Olympics. While jockeys are an important part of the race, nobody claims that the jockey won the Kentucky Derby. It was the horse that won. Why are people getting the medals and not the horses?

3 Likes

Iā€™m kind of with you on this, but I will say that the equestrian events are definitely a partnership between the rider and animal - itā€™s really dangerous and requires a lot of skill for both parties. Thereā€™s no way a horse is doing dressage ā€œjust becauseā€.

I think of it like auto racing - sure the car is doing most of the work but it takes a lot of skill and athleticism to operate it. Except when the car crashes and the driver gets out safely nobody is sad for the car.

5 Likes
11 Likes
11 Likes

I watched that race and she was amazing. Sheā€™s running the 1,500, the 5,000 and the 10,000 meters in this yearā€™s Olympics. Sheā€™s definitely a badass!

3 Likes
9 Likes

:rage:

The Olympics are politics-free! Athletes are there for our entertainment only! Their thoughts and feelings are irrelevant! If you want thinking, watch Jeopardy!!

so much /s

ETA: She competed wearing a Hulk facemask, because she feels like she Hulks out when she is throwing well.

:grin:

6 Likes

More Olympic in general than this one in particular:

Over 2M people displaced in recent history.
:woman_facepalming:t2:

12 Likes

I saw it on the evening news. She was incredible!

2 Likes
2 Likes

There is a special (good) kind of crazy among goalkeepers (soccer and hockey), gymnasts, and pole vaulters. As a runner, I was never going to participate in that crazy, but I always admired it.

Plus, I mean, a name like Mondo DuPlantis? You canā€™t make this shit up.

4 Likes