On 60 Minutes, MTG insisted that Democrats are pedophiles

There are members of the press willing to do that… it’s just that they are not working at corporate outlets like 60 minutes (CBS news). And the push for good ratings has come to be more important than journalism in corporate journalism. Good journalists are marginalized and do not reach the ears/eyeballs of most Americans who rely on corporate media to be informed. I prefer NPR/PBS, but even there, it’s not great. I often find myself frustrated when they don’t push hard enough on these issues.

Could be, but she also was well aware that this would get attention and give her a boost.

Seth Meyers Idk GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

16 Likes

I watched this ‘interview’ last night and was amazed (but not shocked) to hear every possible deflection method used whenever Stahl tried to pin anything from Empty G’s past to her:

“I don’t recall…”
“I never said that…”
“The other side does it…”
“Someone on my staff was responsible…”

And my personal favorite right after she ranks on Biden, Stahl asks her: “Why don’t you blame Donald Trump?”

“Well, the President doesn’t control everything.”

8 Likes

Although even this approach has issues - witness Stewart’s interview with Oklahoma State Sen. Nathan Dahm. He brings up his “hypocrisy” on his anti-gun control, anti-gay stances, but that’s only hypocrisy if you accept the framing of Dahm (and people like him) that he “wants to protect the children.” He doesn’t - that’s a lie. Dahm and MTG et al. don’t give a damn about the kids. They want to protect their conservative, white supremacist, patriarchal culture and don’t care who gets hurt. They’re actually consistent in that, and calling it “hypocrisy” implicitly gives them a moral high ground on at least one issue where they don’t have it.

11 Likes

Fair. I think the really important part of interviews is remembering that you’re displaying this person before an audience. If you’ve unmasked a fascist as a hypocrite, congratulations: you’ve found a fascist. There ain’t one born that isn’t, and it’s no kind of disinfectant for changing their mind.

4 Likes

I can remember when shows like 60 Minutes (not to mention the regular news programs) would be tough on people, without regard to party affiliation. Lesley needs to retire if “wow” is the best she can do when the face of the GOP house is calling Democrats pedophiles on national television.

Journalism has died in America, clearly. It’s fucking comedians like John Stewart who do the hard hitting interviews, which is truly pathetic (he’s great; I mean the idea they leave it up to a comedian to do their jobs is pathetic)

11 Likes

The problem is, they’re not hypocrites - they’re actually very consistent. What they are is liars. They’re just lying about some of their motivations to make them seem high-minded when they aren’t - at all. By focusing on the “gotcha” of revealing their supposed “hypocrisy,” it misses the point (and gives them an unearned moral high ground, because you accept the false framing of caring about children). They don’t want to protect children, they only want to protect, well, fascism.

12 Likes

Years ago - decades now, in fact - I used to watch 60 Minutes religiously. Then came the day where they aired a lengthy “exposé” on a topic that I was intimately familiar with - worked as a professional in the field, no less - and the piece was nothing but sensationalized wildly biased BS from start to finish.

I realized that was probably the case for all the other stories they aired on topics I wasn’t intimately familiar with, too, and never watched another episode. You might as well be getting your info from clickbait articles or Faux News.

15 Likes

I’m not saying that Empty is a paedophile, but if an individual blames an entire large group of being paedophiles then investigate that individual. There have been more than a few fascist sex offenders who accused the left of doing what they were doing.

15 Likes

60 Minutes has been Fox Lite for over a decade.

Focusing specifically on “Things you should be afraid of THIS week!”

2 Likes

8 Likes

She’s quadrupling down by posting video trying to make Biden look like a pedophile.

5 Likes

And honestly, that’s on Stahl for letting her get away with that shit. She should have pushed hard against that bullshit.

7 Likes

Stahl’s Fallon moment.

3 Likes

Anyone here old enough to remember when 60 Minutes was a hard-hitting, investigative current affairs show?

Yeah, me neither.

I’m almost 50.

6 Likes

well, she’s proven no one’s going to stop her, and that’s exactly how this works. give it another few months and reporters will probably be asking democrats whether they really are pedophiles or not. ( some people are saying… )

6 Likes

… between Andy Rooney and Mark Russell, standards for “topical humor” seemed to be very low in the 1970s :confused:

3 Likes

@almighty_bob remembers.

4 Likes

I’m so sorry. I’ll get off your lawn now.

3 Likes

I’m more a “Get Off Of My Cloud” kind of guy.

3 Likes

FWIW:

4 Likes