On leaked call, Texas governor admits his reopen order will cost lives

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/06/on-leaked-call-texas-governor.html

8 Likes

So we can now answer the burning quesiton. He is not stupid, he is profoundly evil. At least we can put that to rest. Along with all the people he (now proven) knowingly is willing to kill. Nice.

37 Likes

23 Likes

This is on-brand for Texan republicans, they will be allowing gyms, bars, salons and other businesses to open soon and honestly the stupidity and negligence is really something. However i’m fortunate to be working from home so my plan right now is to stay the hell away from people, but i worry most about my relatives and family.

18 Likes

You can spell [expletive] in many different languages.

3 Likes

I hate this timeline so much.

16 Likes

Is there anyone, anywhere, who doesn’t think that having more people leaving self-quarantine will lead to more people getting the virus? This seems about as revelatory as the observation that allowing cars to drive above 25mph will cost lives…

4 Likes

For self defense.

10 Likes

Sure, but the tradeoffs for driving versus lifting quarantine at this point in a pandemic are different. I suspect he’s using that same logic - we have to accept some risk, just as we do with driving.

This is more like legalizing drunk driving. It adds a lot of unnecessary, avoidable risk.

36 Likes

“Kill the poor, not the unborn”

22 Likes

The Deplorables become The Expendables.

14 Likes

Source; http://www.frodesignco.com/

24 Likes

Drivers have to be licensed, cars have to be registered and inspected, roads are maintained and patrolled for safety and cars are built to keep passengers safe if there is an accident (airbags, seatbelts, crush zones, etc.). So society recognizes that having millions driving is in fact dangerous but also necessary in today’s society, but goes to great lengths to keep people safe. To lift quarantine before seeing a big drop in new cases, without broad testing, contact tracing, etc., is like letting a bunch of inexperienced drivers on the road in homemade cars with no speed limits.

12 Likes

Absolutely to be expected. You just need to look at where executions are a matter of course and map those locations against those with heavily pro life culture to see that they match up pretty well. Maybe it is a matter of “save that fetus so we can enjoy killing it later?”

10 Likes

An even slightly less horrible person might have made up a reasonable-sounding rationalization for why increased Covid-19 deaths were still preferable to the continued lockdown, even if that rationalization turned out to be bullshit not based on evidence. For example:

“Yes, ending the lockdown now will cause more people to die of the disease, but allowing the lockdown to continue would cost even MORE lives because [economic collapse causing mass starvation / increased domestic violence / long-term health problems from lack of exercise / some other thing conservatives can pretend to care about]. So while we’re stuck with bad choices, this is still the least-bad option.”

7 Likes

Again with the car accident false equivalency. I can’t catch a car accident and pass it on to someone else.

16 Likes

We need to stop being mad at politicians and start being mad at the jack-holes who vote them in.

6 Likes

Without social distancing you sure can.

6 Likes

I find myself teetering on the edge of horror and sadness and wondering if things would end up better if the idiots self thin the herd.

I mean - I know it’s a horrible thought - but I can’t help it from running through my mind in reaction to the fear these guys are going to end up killing me or someone I love with their stupidity.

Further proof (if any were needed) that the “pro-life” stance has never been about life.

4 Likes