On this day in 1994, Bill Clinton announced Ruth Bader Ginsburg as a Supreme Court Justice nominee

“How DARE that woman conduct herself as a dispassionate arbiter of Constitutional law rather than letting partisan political considerations drive her decisions! Didn’t she get the memo that the Supreme Court is a sham and anyone who strives to uphold the institution’s grandest ideals is a fuckin’ rube?”

5 Likes

That doesn’t follow at all from my comment.
But I’ll point out that “lifetime” doesn’t imply any obligation to actually die in office.

Yet not a single person is whinging about the men who DID die in office…

And right now, Thomas might have collaborated on an attempted coup, but I have yet to hear a single person demand he retire…

6 Likes

You are talking about her legal decisions. Which have NOTHING to do with her life and her choices outside the courtroom.

It would be pointless since that would imply him having something remotely similar to shame. What people are demanding is that he be impeached, instead.

Which had nothing to do with you or anyone else.

4 Likes

Really? Cause I’ve not seen much in that regard, where as I could not (and still can not) get away from people whinging about how RBG should have retired on THEIR time table…

4 Likes

The whole idea behind lifetime appointments is that SCOTUS justices aren’t supposed to make important decisions based on how future elections might play out. Timing one’s retirement to maximize the likelihood of a Democratic President appointing a like-minded successor is exactly the kind of partisan political calculation that the court isn’t supposed to concern itself with.

8 Likes

And the president wasn’t supposed to be beholden to any group but be appointed by independent honorable electors that would only use their good sense in their selection.
Both things stopped being true long ago. The rules of the game have changed.
RBG knew this, she decided to play her own political game, with full awareness of the risks. And she definitely regretted having done that or her dying wish wouldn’t have been that her replacement would not be appoiinted until the next presidential term.

I’m sure that your personal opinion is utterly invaluable to RBG’s spirit.

7 Likes

I clearly need to yell louder. Ga. Is far from here!

6 Likes

I’m not saying no one is demanding it… I’m saying that the amount of people demanding that RBG was far louder.

5 Likes

Which were her business, and none of yours.

5 Likes

mood GIF

3 Likes

If only she had used the psychic powers that she obviously had to foresee the outcome of the 2016 election. /S

3 Likes

Not that long ago. Thomas who was a scumbag was an outlier until recently. RBG was confirmed with near-unanimous consent. McConnell’s blocking of Garland, and Trump’s hugely political nominees changed the game and turned what’s normally a routine thing into a circus. The Supreme Court wasn’t meant to be a partisan body but Trump sure made it into one. Yes, you had a push/pull of conservative and liberal justices but it wasn’t like now where the court was stacked with hand-picked justices to fulfill a strictly political agenda.

9 Likes

And, it should be noted, his confirmation vote was still wasn’t a strict party-line affair (two Republicans voted against, eleven Democrats voted in favor).

Turning the Supreme Court into a hyperpartisan institution really is a fairly recent phenomena in the history of our Republic.

8 Likes

Wait… are you trying to say that things change in history! /s

Shocked Oh My God GIF by Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

6 Likes

If only we didn’t live in a historically sexist country, RBG would have been nominated to the court in 1973 when she was 40 and ruled elegantly on any number of cases before retiring comfortably at a reasonable age during the first term of Obama’s presidency. Instead, she spent 60 years working twice as hard as the men for half the pay (while hiding two pregnancies) and it took us that long for us to notice.
She set up a ladder for all the women who followed her and now we’re living with the consequences of the fact that she was replaced by someone who absolutely benefitted from her work, and pulled that ladder up behind her in the name of the christian nationalist movement.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.