One Direction’s Harry Styles issues beautiful defense of teenage girls

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/04/21/one-directions-harry-styles.html

6 Likes

My just-about-teenage daughter likes Taylor Swift and Chainsmokers… but she’s also, in the last 6 months, asked me to load my Beatles catalog onto her iPhone, and also recently informed me she likes Green Day (which she discovered because all my wife and my music is on iCloud), so there’s that.

4 Likes

It’s always nice to see someone who doesn’t belittle their fans.

Sign of the Times suuuuuuuucks though.

2 Likes

It’s not like teenage boys have better taste. Or adults of any gender. Or children.

Taste isn’t something that comes with age or gender.

8 Likes

As the father of a boy, I’ve put some thought into this. Young teenage boys are desperate to prove they’re not tweens, and - worse - not girls. So it becomes vitally important for them to loathe everything young girls like, especially music and celebrities.

When I was a kid it was Bobby Sherman. (How it hurts to write that!) I remember when it was Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake, who are both treated like (somewhat) serious artists today. Whoever Harry Styles is, good on him!

7 Likes

This is definitely one of those topics on which I discovered I was previously an unwitting asshole. I’m glad this became a topic of public conversation before my daughter got any older and I had to face the “support her tastes, while also sharing mine with her” vs. “be a condescending asshole and tell her what’s good and bad.” crossroads. I hope I would’ve seen the light on this myself, but I’m honestly shocked that it took me as long as it did, and that it took people pointing it out to me for me to realize how gross and hurtful it is do heap derision on young girls in this way and treat them like particularly “unfinished” humans.

11 Likes

You know every once in awhile I hear a pop song I actually like. So why critisize someone’s choice in music, you might miss some thing.

2 Likes

They like you, and they tell you. Which is sick.

I’m getting pretty sick of that use of “sick.”

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.