One little problem with the Star Wars timeline

according to an in-universe news source, it’s not supposed to, but will if the “relativistic shielding” fails. one guy become a minor celebrity just before the clone wars when his failed and a 2 hour trip for him became 190 years for everyone else.
http://web.archive.org/web/20130728111154/http://www.holonetnews.com/48/life/13321_2.html

2 Likes

Obi-Wan is just making up for lost time.

Episode I:

Episode II:

4 Likes

I can’t read the tumblr because it is blocked at my workplace, but from context in this thread it appears that there is a timeline issue with how we get from Ep. III to Ep. IV via Rogue One. Please don’t push harder on this, let the Trekkers/Trekkies have their moral superiority on scientific explanations and continuity. The last time Lucas tried to explain the inexplicable we ended up with midichlorians, which was worse than anything we could have imagined. Suspension of disbelief is key to enjoying movies like these, so apply liberally.

14 Likes

Further evidence that Tatooine ages people more rapidly - Beru and Owen Lars from Ep3 vs Ep4:

21 Likes

Guinness was 64/65 when IV was filmed. Smits was 60/61 for R1. Not that much difference.

13 Likes

The issue is that Bail Organa looks about ten years older in Rogue One than he does in Ep. III, where, over the same span of time, Obi-Wan has turned from a mid-thirties Ewan McGregor to a mid-sixties Alec Guinness.

7 Likes

I think he’s supposed to be 19 or 20 in ANH. I had always assumed the timeline was jiggy because we’re dealing with a thousand different planets here, they’re not all going to have similar orbits/rotation periods. What’s a “year”, when you have people scattered all over various celestial bodies? But according to the Star Wars wiki galactic time is based on Coruscant’s orbit, which is basically 24/365 so that threw my theory out the window.

6 Likes

Reshoot I-III with an older Ewan McGregor.

7 Likes

The Tumblr post isn’t showing up for me at all. I had to fish the link out of the source.

Anyway, the obvious explanation: Obi-Wan is in hiding, and has force-aged himself or something to improve his disguise. I guess.

6 Likes

Ooooo I read something similar in “Life-Support Mask as Disinhibiting Agent: The Case of Annakin Skywalker/Darth Vader.” The author’s longitudinal comparison of Vader with other masked Sithy types across the long span of Republic-Empire history is a real tour de ahem force.

1 Like

Some scotsmen age more gracefully than others.

22 Likes

None of the Star Wars movie timelines make much sense if you bring the prequels into it. The incredibly fast devolution of technology seen in the prequels up to the main series is unexplainable, even if the empire was systematically making people’s lives miserable technological advances would take much longer than 20-30 years between episode 3 and 4 to degenerate to a less advanced state. I’d say the age difference between characters is trivial.

9 Likes

He also got a head start being multiply traumatized during his Clone Wars exploits. So underneath the Anakin was a Darth Vader just waiting to be born. Burn off some arms and legs, get some loving rehabilitation and therapy at the hands of Darth Sidious aka Emperor Palpatine, and I am surprised it took that long.

3 Likes

I completely forgot Smits was is the prequels so when he stepped out of the shadows in Rogue One I was confused why he was presented like i was supposed to recognize him. I guess I was too busy making sure Mon Mothma wasn’t CGI too.

2 Likes

As pointed out by a prior post, Smits is only 4 years younger than Guinness was in Star Wars.

But what a difference nearly 40 years makes in lifestyles!

Back in the 70’s middle aged people were less likely to exercise, usually didn’t watch their weight or cholesterol, drank and smoked more regularly.

5 Likes

Let’s not forget the fact that Episodes I – III should be completely ignored at all times.

26 Likes

Plus a middle aged man in the 1970’s was less likely to take care of themselves physically to the degree a middle aged man in the 2010’s would. Think of how ubiquitous ashtrays were back in the day.

2 Likes

Obi-Wan was only 57 when he died, while Bail Organa was 67…

1 Like

Here’s a tip: add /embed to the end of any Tumblr URL to read it in that simple standardized format that’s in the BB post.

7 Likes

And the fact that the Jedi went from a galaxy-altering force to a myth within people’s lifetimes. Apparently it wasn’t just the technology that fell apart, but people’s memories as well.

15 Likes