One man's horrific saga of inadvertantly destroying municipal infrastructure with superabsorbent water beads

Originally published at: One man's horrific saga of inadvertantly destroying municipal infrastructure with superabsorbent water beads - Boing Boing

6 Likes

Pro tip (but not legal advice): If you are going to do crimes, do not record yourself doing them and don’t upload those videos to the Interwebz. Also, holy crap these things have been the subject of a lot of lawsuits and product recalls. I’m surprised you can still buy them.

28 Likes

Clog your municipal sewage systems while getting TikTok clicks with this one neat trick!

13 Likes

It takes a lot of balls.

15 Likes

If I recall correctly, most of this was faked. He came out and explained it because he got in trouble for faking the municipal letter.

Edit - Here’s his video where he explained how he faked everything: https://youtu.be/lAdgNn1YBPM?si=-nuzylS6FcNq1_Qm

If you don’t speak French, use the autotranslate function for your language of choice.

17 Likes

Impersonating a governmental official is a crime. One hopes there was a lesson actually learned here.

3 Likes

I have always hated the videos showing excessive consumption and waste. “Let’s see what happens when we build a foam volcano that washes the deck off the house”, “here’s a hundred car batteries, let’s see some big sparks and flame”, or “Oh, look, I bought a plane and crashed it”.

I don’t even like AA batteries because they’re destined for the trash bin. Choosing to buy something that is specifically going into a landfill (or worse, crashed into a mountain and abandoned!) is obscene.

18 Likes

Its fake? Next think you’ll be telling me that most of the YouTube restoration videos are fake too!

I did think it odd that Orbeez were appearing everywhere, from storm drains and garden downpipe drains. Someone doesn’t know how municipal sewage works, or more likely doesn’t care whether his viewers know or care. Get those clicks!

11 Likes

Nbc Brooklyn 99 GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

7 Likes

Missed opportunity. He could’ve just dumped them down a San Francisco hill and been hailed as a marketing genius,.

13 Likes

Have you seen the carpet cleaning ones? The ones with a pristine rug somehow covered completely by mud?

I loved that commercial when it came out. Song is great too. And I remember my inlaws bought the Bravia TV solely based on the commercial.

Making of, if you’re so inclined: https://youtu.be/oFGT14wJU-o?si=38r6dgYdH6Ijpnug

5 Likes
9 Likes

I suspect someone is going to use these in a heist movie. There’s better materials if you want something expansive but not explosive, but they are more photogenic than most.

4 Likes

Fake video or not, they can gum up plumbing and children.

6 Likes

With all that sanding it’s like they started with a 20d nail ended up with a 16d…

giphy

Obviously for views, but still…

6 Likes

Seems like he uses the German words for “no” and “shit” a lot. Is there a French region where German is common in that way? Or is it just peculiar to this person’s background?

3 Likes

The Alsace region, around Strasbourg, has a decent amount of germanic speakers (German or Alsatian).

There are also mixed words. Instead of salut it is common to see it spelled salü

I think this guy is just doing it to be funny.

8 Likes

And pets. Especially pets. Orbeez got banned at home when the rabbits joined the family.

5 Likes

Inavertantly?

3 Likes

He seems really impressed by himself.

He also seems like an AH to me, but I’m old and grouchy. So there’s that.

3 Likes