One of Miles Davis's final performances sees official release, includes songs by Prince and Michael Jackson

Originally published at: One of Miles Davis's final performances sees official release, includes songs by Prince and Michael Jackson | Boing Boing

5 Likes

As a child I dared to attempt the trumpet, moved to the cornet horn, and then went to the electric guitar. It’s near impossible for me to narrate how jazz helped me cope with life at that young age, it liberated my mind, elevated my soul, and in the end gave me courage, all that from Miles / Herb Alpert / Vince Guaraldi, and countless other jazz musicians. Still my favorite to this day is Vince Guaraldi’s Cast, Your Fate To The Wind recorded in 61’, I think…

16 Likes

That piece gets me every time. Oh to have been able to see Guaraldi at Grace Cathedral (or anywhere else, really). Words are inadequate.

4 Likes

12 Likes

Miles’ interpretation of Jackson’s Human Nature also had a studio release on the album You’re Under Arrest. That album also has a great rendition of Time After Time.

3 Likes

Can’t wait. Late Miles is my jam.

2 Likes

Never liked that album… felt too sterile. But maybe this is because the first time I heard those songs was in this live set Miles Davis - Live in Montreal (1985).avi - YouTube

2 Likes

There’s a great full show from that era on YT.

1 Like

That was interesting! I happen to be born on Miles’s 35th birthday, more or less while Coltrane was busy recording Olé Coltrane for Atlantic, so there’s always been a bit of a connection of sorts and I like loads of his albums, from Birth of the Cool onward. I’m not very knowledgeable about his very late work though and frankly it features rather too many electric keyboards to my taste. Still, I did and do enjoy the album Live Around the World, a compilation of live performances from this late period. Also, please give some praise to the contributions by alto saxophonist Kenny Garrett, who did a lot of the heavy lifting during these shows (and in this clip).

1 Like

I love Miles Davis more than any other jazz musician, perhaps more than any other musician of any genre, but that 80’s era of Miles. . . well . . . those are not the albums I listen to most.

I will say the live recordings from that era have an edge the studio albums don’t have, and this little clip sounds pretty good.

3 Likes

Tutu was a masterpiece. Fight me.

1 Like

“Tutu” is a Marcus Miller album with Miles’ name stuck on it. Prove me wrong.

All I can say is that on every Miles recording from Charlie Parker up to the final Japanese shows in 1975 he’s pushing himself and the music. In the 80’s he settled into what was already the very standard sounding fusion jazz of the time, it’s like he was still in retirement, and that’s fine, he earned it. I just don’t find I ever want to listen to it. Your Milesage may vary.

6 Likes

Well there’s a totally George Duke tune on it too! (A factory preset on a synth I have is call George Duke…)

3 Likes

And it’s not the first time Miles did this-- “Red China Blues” from the “Get Up With It” LP was a track someone else was working on that Miles heard in the studio and decided he wanted to play on it.

2 Likes

Sure thing. And Birth of the Cool is just a Gil Evans record.

1 Like

No, you’re thinking of Sketches of Spain.

1 Like

That’s from Star Wars, not Star Trek.

1 Like

When trying to explain to people why I love Miles so much I’m fond of saying “he was a virtuoso listener”.

2 Likes

I love me some late Miles too, and Don Cheadle’s portrayal turned out to be pretty damn cool. Miles Ahead (film) - Wikipedia That said, is it just me, or does every single late Miles jam clock in at 18:XX?!

2 Likes