One of the last conservative Democrats in congress loses primary to progressive opponent

The difference between Illinois politics and other states is that we investigate, arrest, and prosecute (at least some of) our dirty politicians. That’s why we have so many in prison or out after serving their time.

It goes in the win column, not a bad thing at all.

11 Likes

You know we were all thinking it!

5 Likes

First good news about the Dems’ inner workings in a while. They made some vicious changes to the rules to protect him and a few others like him from primary challenges.

3 Likes

Good riddance!

3 Likes

Wish I were more optimistic about this, but Lipinski’s district covers a huge swath of Chicago’s southwest suburbs to exurbs, and appears drawn to exclude many of the mostly-Black neighboring south suburbs. It’s a 78% white, largely working class district.

My call is that it went from a safe (nominally) Democratic district to a vulnerable district, since the Nazi guy got trounced in the Republican primary by a more conventional (yet still Trump-supporting and climate change flexible) Republican with political experience and name recognition in the area: https://patch.com/illinois/joliet/mike-fricilone-wins-gop-3rd-district-congressional-nomination

1 Like

Three of the last seven Illinois governors have been convicted

2 Likes

Americans: “No more kings!”
Also Americans: "he inherited his seat in congress from his own father, courtesy of the state Democratic party. "

5 Likes

Getting rid of Lipinski seems like an unalloyed positive thing. Good riddance!

3 Likes

Is that a GIF? When I stare at it, it seems to have a life of its own. But, it’s pretty early here…

That favours the right…

…and that favours the left.

Reminder that the whole “Trump was elected by the white working class” thing is utter bullshit, invented by middle & upper class people as a way of deflecting blame from themselves and indulging their classism.

All groups of white people voted majority Trump, but working class whites gave Trump less support than any other economic group. Fascism is a pathology of the middle class.

2 Likes

One of the ironies of Lipinski’s loss is that he actually did best in the precincts that were located within the city, while Newman resoundingly carried the suburban portions of the district - and the suburban portion covers some of the wealthier southwestern suburbs.

1 Like

“On your left.”

3 Likes

Yep, that’s what I don’t get, this idea of dynasties in American politics. One of the reasons I wasn’t fond of Hillary is because, well, we already had a member of her family in that position. Same with Bush Jr. JFK had his brother as Attorney General. Kushner and his wife given seats at high ranking tables despite zero qualifications. This is nepotism, ain’t it?

3 Likes

Meritocracy with American characteristics.

1 Like

I believe Bernie won the 2016 D primary and Hillary won the general election like 55%-39%, so… it seems Marie Newman should win, but it’s hard to say for sure.

See also Hunter Biden’s job with Amtrak.

Mika Brezinski’s dad was the guy who advised Jimmy Carter to arm the Mujahideen. Elizabeth “Theranos” Holmes’ dad was a VP at Enron. Beto O’Rourke’s rich grandfather was a cabinet official under JFK who had an affair with the heiress who owned Mar-A-Lago before Trump. Etc etc.

The gene pool of the American ruling class is ridiculously shallow. I’m surprised they haven’t already developed a Hapsburg lip.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.