One of the last conservative Democrats in congress loses primary to progressive opponent

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/18/one-of-the-last-conservative-d.html

15 Likes

43 Likes

You beat me to it. You win the internet today! :grin:

8 Likes

Gotta start somewhere, but Illinois politics is hella dirty so I hope the winner keeps looking behind herself rather than getting cozy.

15 Likes

Perhaps we shouldn’t just jump to the conclusion that Ms. Newman is taking Lipinski’s congressional seat. An actual real-life Nazi won 25% of the Illinois 3rd district in 2018. The GOP made a big fuss about disavowing a Nazi at the time, but it was clear they saw running a republican against Lipinski was a waste of time, considering his stance on traditionally conservative issues. Now, with a progressive on the ballot, one would expect the GOP to take the contest more seriously.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy to see Lipinski go. But Marie Newman is going to have a tough race.

18 Likes

32 Likes

It’s notable that though Newman had a lot of support from outside to get rid of Lipinski, she did a lot of traditional retail meet-the-folks type campaigning, focusing on local issues. The basic concept the DNC establishment still seems to not get is that folks like it when you actually listen to them.

23 Likes

Loved that episode, haven’t seen it in a decade.

1 Like

This dude has a real slenderman vibe going on.

Now let’s get vote out Stephen Lynch.

4 Likes

“Choad” is the first word that pops into my head when I look at him.

7 Likes

Probably not as tough as you make it seem. It’s a pretty safely blue district, and Illinois Republicans aren’t really in any position to dump resources into that race given a lot of other challenges they face.

That’s why Lipinski was such a turd. He had an overwhelmingly blue district, and he was still a chickenshit anti-choice “Democrat.”

10 Likes

State by state til the top job is vulnerable. Keep going. Don’t give up, please.

8 Likes

I live just a few miles north of Lipinski’s district so I was denied the pleasure of voting against that wolf in Democratic clothing. Now he can devote full time to his only skill sets like throwing fake blood at Planned Parenthood facilities and organizing straight pride parades.

7 Likes

4 Likes

Rat1

3 Likes

As long as there is an ill-informed electorate who vote for a familiar name rather than issues that matter, legacy imposters like Lipinski will skate through reelection. That’s the only reason why this asshole has been in office for so long.

4 Likes

4 Likes

Adios mofo!

3 Likes

5 Likes

I didn’t know he was a TV star too!

1 Like