Ongoing coronavirus happenings

Yeah, it’s pretty shameful to announce that people should avoid pubs, clubs, and restaurants, non-essential travel, but stop short of ordering the formal closure of, or financial support for, those establishments. We’re still going to want pubs, clubs, and restaurants in three months time. The government should actually step up and support the country.

11 Likes

The state of pensions even without coronavirus were bad enough but now it reminds me of that seasick steve album - i started out with nothin and i still got most of it left.

6 Likes

I’ve seen this argument a lot in the US, and it’s asinine. In Portland, they closed the schools, but students can still come by to pick up meals. It wasn’t that hard to work around.

Another thing that gets me is, about the childcare argument; I was left at home alone when I was about 9, of my siblings weren’t there, and I was left to take care of them starting when I was 11or 12, and that was a perfectly normal thing, that never caused any problems, back then. Nowadays, my coworkers won’t even leave their 12-13 year old kids at home alone, for fear of getting the cops called on them. Obviously, for people with younger children, they still need childcare, but people have gotten just ridiculous about things that used to be simple common sense.

11 Likes

For pain, ibuprofen works much better for me. Acetaminophen is supposedly better as a febrifuge, which would make it useful in the case of COVID-19, but I have no first-hand experience.

6 Likes

Fuck that’s crazy!

18 Likes

Every once in a while–you’ll see a lot of comments to the effect of

A person who is “good” at self isolation might not necessarily have family and friends to rely upon.

Besides, my family lives on the other coast.

21 Likes
30 Likes

What I read said NAIDs generally.

1 Like

The mechanism of action is different between the two, and lots of folks have your experience. The question currently being evaluated is whether the problem is related to anti-inflammatory action, in which case acetaminophen is ok, or fever reduction, in which case both are bad. For those who find acetaminophen pretty useless (me among them) this could be moderately bad news.

18 Likes

I know, Big Brother is still a thing? No wonder our society is crumbling.

15 Likes

Everything is now a tv or movie plot.

8 Likes

Locally, we are now doing “fill the truck” drives to feed kids who rely on school lunches, but again, community stepping in when leadership abandons us. There are limits to how far that can get.

19 Likes

A crummy one.

8 Likes

There’d better not be a sequel.

11 Likes

Be careful what you wish for.

8 Likes

Ouch, that went dark quickly!

13 Likes

Are you saying fever reduction (acetaminophen) is not a good idea for COVID-19?

2 Likes

That’s my plan. My bike’s going to get some mileage. I ride solo so I can still maintain social distance. I don’t imagine riding in a group would be a good idea at all.

Oh and I happened to see reference to Santa Clara’s order (I don’t live there), and it defines outdoor exercise as a permitted activity and exception from a shelter-in-place order:

https://www.sccgov.org/sites/phd/DiseaseInformation/novel-coronavirus/Pages/order-health-officer-031620.aspx

To engage in outdoor activity, provided the individuals comply with Social Distancing Requirements as defined in this Section, such as, by way of example and without limitation, walking, hiking, or running.

13 Likes

That is a great point! I hadn’t even thought of that. I’ll keep an eye out and avoid WIC items if at all possible.

17 Likes

Welcome to Boing Boing!!

My coping strategy may be flawed, ignore me :wink:

13 Likes