Ongoing coronavirus happenings

I am saying it is one hypothesis. There have been very good (non-covid-19) studies showing that aggressive fever reduction prolongs illness in generic viral URIs, but how and if this applies to something like this is not known.

17 Likes

I think I read this morning that Finland did something similar. They chose to keep the daycare centres open, but asked parents not to bring their children there unless absolutely essential.

I thought it was a clever idea.

8 Likes

Worst stock market point drop in history; third worst by percent. DJIA futures are sliding down even further right now. Even 45 vaguely acknowledged we’re heading for a recession.

Fucking hell.

19 Likes

It’s almost like incompetent leadership in a time of global crisis is a bad thing! Odd that.

23 Likes

Yeah, if only Obama did better! If only this were preventable! If only we had some warning! Etc, etc.

13 Likes

Exactly.

13 Likes

it’s sparse enough i can keep an eye out and cross the street if i see a dog walker or just walk into the street for a bit.

3 Likes

None at all if you’re not infected. If you are infected, and if you keep your distance as much as possible, then the odds of infecting people you’re passing from afar while outside should be pretty small.

(I just got back from a longish walk and a bit of necessary shopping, and while everyone is doing a pretty good job of maintaining distance there are exceptions, for example children who won’t decrowd sidewalks, and that one jerk who stood in the doorway of the otherwise-empty coffee roaster and would not move no matter how much I cleared my throat and gave him the same sharp looks that usual work on students when they’re peeking at their neighbor’s exam papers.)

10 Likes
8 Likes
7 Likes

i can guarantee anyone who called the store i work at to request a bundle of groceries done up because they couldn’t risk entering the store would be accommodated if at all possible.

i agree that there are people without friends and family to help. that doesn’t mean your first response should be to go into a crowded public place anyway.

9 Likes

8 Likes

ArNZ0Lb

8 Likes

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2020/03/16/italy-has-been-trying-to-send-us-a-warning-will-we-listen/23951981/

13-16 days is all we have until we are there. European countries are closer. It’s really hard to watch this. And the UK may be handling this even worse than we are. :sob:

24 Likes

It looks like disaster was narrowly averted in the UK

16 Likes

I watched a report from an Italian hospital earlier.
“Bleak” is an epic understatement.

18 Likes

Mine aren’t remotely that close; I have no plan B if I get sick. I think this is pretty common.

((unrelated))

So, some packages I ordered from China months ago, before I thought there’d be a problem, arrived today. Should I (i) incinerate them, (ii) douse them in isopropal alcohol, or (iii) ii then i? And do I owe the mail deliveryperson a letter of apology?

3 Likes

A friend of mine pointed out that he can’t get a 90 day supply of his medications to prepare for quarantine, because one is an opiate.

The fact that lots of people can’t even get medication for pain, because a bunch of vicious puritans would rather that they suffer, than that someone might use a drug for a purpose they don’t personally approve of, drives me up the wall. This kind of shit is where all of that drug warrior bullshit leads, and anyone who thinks they have the right to make decisions about what other people do with their own bodies is a really shitty excuse for a human being.

14 Likes

I had folks quarantine the files we got at the office for three days. And use gloves to open them.

Whatever is inside has been quarantined three extra days getting here.

11 Likes

Nature will find a way!

Kids these days! :wink:

15 Likes