Ongoing coronavirus happenings

While I am reverently of your opinion - the comparison to fluis bullshit - I would caution that without knowing what went into this chart, the interpretation is difficult.

Wuhan, e.g., had an overall death rate of 12 %. The rest of China hasn’t. (Hospitals where overwhelmed in Wuhan.) External factors play an important role in the question of who dies, and how many. This is what makes all comparisons difficult to evaluate, to say the least.

What’s clear: more people die from it than from the flu, there is no herd immunity and no vaccine. That’s enough to be scary as hell, but people don’t realise this until someone they personally know is in real danger.

5 Likes

There are 18 hot singles in your area.
Do not touch them.

35 Likes

That strikes me as a disingenuous description of the rationale for laws controlling opiates.

Whether you think the existing laws are well thought-out or not, the reason distribution of opiods is so tightly regulated is because the nation is still in the midst of an opiod epidemic that affects millions of people across the country and causes well over 100 overdose deaths every day. (Thanks, Sacklers.)

So it may well be time to reexamine how those policies are implemented and how they harm innocent people, but the restrictions weren’t exactly implemented for the same puritanical reasoning as, say, the laws regulating marijuana.

7 Likes

So you didn’t torch them? That’s no fun!

1 Like

Fuck; now Idris Elba is infected.

14 Likes

It’s an accurate description of the effects of those laws, and, since the people who made the laws, and the people who enforce them, are the same as for laws against weed, I certainly don’t see any reason to give them the benefit of the doubt.

And, though the opiate epidemic was exacerbated by pharmaceutical companies saying they were safe, and doctors overprescribing them, it doesn’t change the fact that supposing those laws means that you think you have the right to use threats of violence to override other people’s personal bodily autonomy.

4 Likes

Wasn’t there a Black Mirror or something with a Big Brother parody where they didn’t find out about a zombie pandemic? Or maybe a film?

6 Likes

3 Likes

I was thinking of exactly that. Called dead set but wasn’t part of the black mirror series.

12 Likes

I would argue that policies championed by the likes of the Sacklers effectively robbed millions of Americans of their bodily autonomy by making them chemically dependent on a dangerous, overpriced drug for no good reason beyond corporate profits.

11 Likes

Black Mirror producer Charlie Brooker wrote it. Never seen it, but it sounded pretty good, although probably a bit more easily got by Brits (or those well versed in British media.)

7 Likes

I think this is the 3rd time this has been posted! Shows how much we love Idris…

idris-elba

16 Likes

There was a Big Brother zombie parody and it was written by Charlie Brooker.

6 Likes

Oh good, he’s finally taking ownership of the crisis

14 Likes

25DlT85

12 Likes

61gbk4lWLuL.AC_SY400

@ChuckV @politeruin share them around.

13 Likes

I keep telling them to install a fireplace at the office- and a hot tub.

9 Likes

We’d better share those Cokes with Idris Elba.

5 Likes

Did this, by the way of nothing, got noted in the US in any way?

The chancellor no less was asked about the situation and did not deny the claim that the US tried to get exclusive access

Anti-Americanism is not exactly rare in Germany, but this is a bit wild by all means.

ETA: foly huck, that offer never existed. Adding this here so more people will see it.

ETA 2: didn’t realise the topic was currently closed. Adding content:

https://www.aerzteblatt.de/nachrichten/111109/CureVac-Es-gab-kein-Angebot-aus-den-USA

In an nutshell, there was a press conference by the company, and the CURRENT CEO declared the offer never existed.

Someone is going to answer for this, I hope. Fuck this shit. For once, it seems the sitting president is not the baddie. This is highly political. The German chancellor no less had to answer questions in regard to that “offer”.

I’ll try to highlight this in other ways since the topic is closed.

20 Likes

Thanks, and @Tamsin_Bailey… I knew there was a black mirror connection… We did watch it, and it was some fun.

10 Likes