Ongoing coronavirus happenings

We just got a “shelter in place” order.

20 Likes

I have heard from a nurse that the ACEs and ARBs are a risk because the febrile patient typically stops taking them at some point (not by their own choice). When that happens, the angiotensin conversion is no longer inhibited, and the virus binds ACE instead. When that happens, the virus infects the tissues, causing them to malfunction, vasoconstriction occurs rapidly and the patient crashes. Even after looking like they were improving.

Just a guess. Nobody knows yet, completely.

8 Likes

Fucking Pile. The Senate was out of town for the entire weekend and now Gomer here is holding up final passage just to fuck around with everyone because he’s mad only 39 of his fellow death cultists joined him.

26 Likes

Could someone please read them to him? Otherwise - it’ll take all year.

12 Likes

I saw cory making the comparison to the TSA lifting the ban on liquids as proof that both were founded on lies but then we always knew it was security theatre bullshit.

https://pluralistic.net/2020/03/14/masque-of-the-red-death/#security-theater

As a bonus, one of his new novellas from radicalized is getting a free audio release. If you got the stomach for it right now.

https://pluralistic.net/2020/03/14/masque-of-the-red-death/#masque

Vague doesn’t even begin to cover that press conference. I still can’t quite fathom the decision to leave schools open.

12 Likes

Because closing them will expose how deeply damaged and fragile our society has become in order to line the pockets of the already wealthy.

15 Likes

I just watched a bit of Channel 4 News - when pushed a minister pretty much just said “well, we can’t leave the kids with the grandparents while the parents work!”
I’m fairly sure the reporter’s “we might as well just keep the pubs open…” was sarcastic.

Tl;dr - no, me either.

16 Likes
15 Likes

The lack of a firm confirmation was the reason why I deleted a post about this yesterday

Also, a vaccine trial has started in Seattle

14 Likes

Important to understand that the vaccine trial beginning is a phase I trial, which is a safety trial, essentially making sure it doesn’t kill people. Phase II and III trials are still in the future. The roughly 18 month timeframe still stands.
And I am watching the ibuprofen findings. If this bears out it will be a bummer, just basically telling patients to muscle through the misery sucks.

25 Likes

The future toilet paper is already here—It’s just not very evenly distributed.

14 Likes

There’s 3.8 million children on free school meals. The government doesn’t have a plan to feed these kids if it closes schools. The government claims that keeping schools open is necessary to prevent ‘essential workers’ e.g. NHS staff from having to stay home looking after their kids. But: The government could tell the kids of everyone else to stay home, and have schools kept open on a skeleton staff to provide day-care for the kids of nurses and doctors.

11 Likes
6 Likes

My impression was that acetaminophen is still ok.

10 Likes

They are recommending acetaminophen (aka paracetamol), just not NSAIDs like ibuprofen.

edit: @anon62122146 got there first.

9 Likes

But for some of us, acetaminophen provides no medical relief and can be dangerous if taken in only slightly higher than prescribed doses. So, not worth bothering with. And yes, I’ve told that to medical staff after waking from surgery. I’ll suffer through the pain if that’s all I’m allowed, because acetaminophen isn’t going to help anyway.

15 Likes

After surgery? Screw that noise - prescribe some Percocet or face my righteous wrath!

7 Likes

Well, wouldn’t it have been nice if they’d included any of that info and not just a cursory mention of schools, at the moment it doesn’t feel like they have a plan for anything apart from wiping out those they will no longer have any obligation to support.

6 Likes

It’ll solve that large spend on pensions…

7 Likes

I would think going for a walk (or bike) in a park or conservation area would be both mentally and physically beneficial as long as you don’t take transit and don’t touch stuff. No need for a mask or anything like that. Even a drive out to the country in your own car can help if you are feeling cagey.

15 Likes