Ongoing coronavirus happenings

Well, it has left the west coast.

11 Likes

Not the topic of this thread.

Whole long discussion over on Universal Healthcare Not Radical.

8 Likes

And, tick Rhode Island off the list.

12 Likes
10 Likes

You can see the effects of statements like this in comments on covid-19 stories. (Don’t go there, trust me on this.) “Its just a cold,” “Dem hoax,” “Fake news.” It has been said that if a crisis came, there would be problems because of folks not believing government statements. I don’t recall anyone worried about problems caused because they did believe those statements. Stupidest timeline strikes again. :persevere:

24 Likes

Well the US Government statements anyway. But then anyone with half a brain knows not to trust the current version of it farther than you can comfortably throw it.

7 Likes

I was hesitant even to use that link to the NY Times, a newspaper with an imperfect record (and wantonly so, periodically) of publishing stupid/wrong/bad journalism. And at one time I had been a subscriber. Yikes.

I ask myself, how, o how did we in the U.S. get to this parlous state? I realize that any meaningful answer is lengthy and off-topic; this question is more a lament. But I keep hearing the words of the apparently immortal Fred Schneider in my head:

“Who’s to blame when situations degenerate?”
–from Party Out of Bounds

5 Likes

Gonna guess, only elements with symbols containing the letter J

1 Like

Well. We did have positives in MA already. So that itself would assume it would spread fairly quick to RI, CT, NH, and ME.

2 Likes

Here’s pence to calm things down:

4 Likes

I think what the GOP is especially banking on is the chance that like other big viral threats, this one will eventually calm down with few American deaths. Then they’ll point to the large scale concern we’re currently going through and say, “See? Those Dems and the lamestream media that were blaming Trump’s response and his downplaying statements really were just trying to drag Him down. Traitors!”

14 Likes

NIH: National Institutes of Health, or Not Invented Here?

(Yeah, I know it was the CDC.)

7 Likes

Community speading in the U.K.

7 Likes

. Based on an analysis of the virus’s genetic sequence, another case that surfaced in the state and was announced on Friday probably was descended from that first case.

The two people live in the same county, but are not known to have had contact with one another, and the second case occurred well after the first would no longer be expected to be contagious. So the genetic findings suggest that the virus has been spreading through other people in the community for close to six weeks, according to one of the scientists who compared the sequences, Trevor Bedford, an associate professor at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center and the University of Washington.

Dr. Bedford said it was possible that the two cases could be unrelated, and had been introduced separately into the United States. But he said that was unlikely, however, because in both cases the virus contained a genetic variation that appears to be rare — it was found in only two of the 59 samples whose sequences have been shared from China, where the virus originated.

11 Likes

Pence prays the bad germs away:

Meanwhile, important meeting with public health experts (Mnuchin, Carson, etc.) looks like this:

20 Likes

Why must everything turn into such partisan and political bullshit with these people. I can imagine if 9/11 happened yesterday, Trump and his people would be blaming Nancy Pelosi for everything.

12 Likes

After half of them have succumbed.

6 Likes

Because the election is coming, and Donnie Tinyhands has long had all stops pulled to make sure he wins.

12 Likes
8 Likes

Aren’t 80% recovering without any intervention at all?

One of my housemates was sick as a dog for like half of January

I’m seriously wondering if SARS-CoV-2 has already been in our house

6 Likes