Ongoing coronavirus happenings

I really want to see that woven into a large tapestry!

2 Likes

I want to pass this on. Is there an attribution?

4 Likes

Posted at the sink in my office. Lets class the place up a little!

13 Likes

If we’re referring to Shakespeare here, let’s not forget that the reason Romeo and Juliet died was because Friar John, though healthy, was locked away in quarantine, so couldn’t deliver Romeo’s letter to Juliet.

8 Likes
15 Likes

I found it on the twitters - didn’t get the attribution

3 Likes
20 Likes
6 Likes

Found it in my feed!

23 Likes

Yeah, same here in the UK (concordant right wing administrations) - low testing.

4 Likes

When it becomes self aware, I’m off this planet!

19 Likes

You are right. I had hope, but:

This is how the human species dies.

ETA:

Seanan McGuire may write fiction, but it’s usually more realistic than this. Only real humans are this fucking unbelievable.

23 Likes
8 Likes

Had an all-day meeting today. Started by refusing to shake anyone’s hand, explaining that I’m considered relatively high risk, and talking a bit about some basic preventative stuff like washing hands. At the end of the meeting, one of the women insisted on hugging me even after I pulled back.

I was the youngest person at the meeting. These people all have grandchildren. If this blows up in the Midwest, I fully expect not all of them to make it, considering how cavalier they’re being.

23 Likes

I have a history of dissing vitamin supplements but this is a big study of (maybe) current applicability.

tl;dr a bit (400-800 iu) of daily vit D supplementation was associated with decreased acute viral respiratory infections. 50% decrease. Large doses were associated with increased risk of same, so no, more is not better. Not tested against covid-19 of course, but should (there is that word again) generalize based on proposed mechanism. Food for thought.

14 Likes

Up here near Seattle, the county is trying to remain reasonable and calm. (prob won’t stop people from buying all the toilet paper and bottled water)
https://kingcounty.gov/depts/health/news/2020/March/4-covid-recommendations.aspx

Glad to hear more testing gear is arriving in the area today/tomorrow - hopefully Washington can stay on top of the situation.

2 Likes

Good thing it’s home to Costco.

5 Likes

So, very fucked

13 Likes

Except don’t touch your face…

16 Likes

At a large supermarket, near a Costco, the toilet paper, bottled water, and only two lonely (bashed) cans of Spam left. It looked like the pasta had been harvested, the canned soup slurped, and few other categories. I wasn’t doing a survey, just noticing.

I don’t see how the water supply could fail in this situation, but hey.

9 Likes