Ongoing coronavirus happenings

Jesus. As someone who has to present expert-opinions to decision makers, that video made me want to crawl under a table.

Trump walked away from that understanding that there was debate between two people over whether the vaccine would be ready in a couple of months vs a year and a half. There wasn’t a debate, they were in agreement with each other — the couple of months were for phase 1 testing — but they never really stopped and made that crystal clear, and he took away what he wanted to take away.

7 Likes

That is true, but should read “less than point 1 percent”, it’s not three times more deadly, it’s thirty.

10 Likes

Possibilities range from

• I’m gonna get this and it will kill me

to

• I already had it last month and didn’t even notice

Honestly I’m not likely to change my behavior much

7 Likes

New York waives fees for coronavirus test

Gov. Andrew Cuomo issued a new directive requiring New York health insurers to waive costs associated with testing for coronavirus, including emergency room, urgent care and office visits.

“We can’t let cost be a barrier to access to COVID-19 testing for any New Yorker,” Cuomo said.

The state confirmed its second case Tuesday, a Westchester County man hospitalized with an “underlying respiratory illness,” Cuomo said. The first case involves a health care worker from Manhattan quarantined in her apartment.

– Jon Campbell

This is the kind of leadership we need nationally. Not that I expect much from current occupant, but wouldn’t it be nice?

26 Likes

Hah! I liked it! It is happy and catchy!

Here is a song that taught the local Gen X the importance of hygiene!

8 Likes

Really just gotta deal, folks. Everywhere they are looking for it, they find it. Haven’t seen it in VA yet, but I don’t believe for a moment it’s not here. We have seen a bunch of kids with “flu test negative flu” that I have to wonder about now. Consider your plans and review your preps. The more Trump says “don’t worry” the more worried I get.

15 Likes

Unfortunately this applies to anything and everything; not just a pandemic.

11 Likes

Well, subject to a doctors order and availability of tests. 15,000 sounds like a lot. It is not.

20 Likes

Here’s what I sense is likely to happen (or is already happening) among those of us who either have no health insurance, or “catastrophic” health insurance with sky-high deductibles and a ton of exclusions:

1. We experience the onset of flu-like symptoms.
  2. Possibility of getting tested for COVID19 may or may not be pursued because any or all of the following:
  • cannot afford to self-pay for test [in most places in the U.S.];
  • cannot afford to self-pay for quarantine costs while awaiting test results;
  • cannot afford to pay the enormous deductible if insured while awaiting test results;
  • cannot afford to pay for time spent in hospital if required to stay in there if test comes back positive;
  • cannot afford to take time off of work because “don’t work = don’t eat = don’t pay the rent”; and/or
  • cannot afford to pay for the costs of all these list items for additional family members.
  1. We limp along, trying to DIY our recovery, hoping for the best, while recognizing that young healthy knowledgeable people have died from COVID19 nevertheless.

I blame late stage capitalism, greed, deregulation, Ronald Reagan

and Cult45.

Yeah yeah I’m washing my hands a lot these days. There’s a metaphor here… a really sad one.

Keep breathin’, y’all.

ETA: verb missing

20 Likes

Handwashing demo using paint. Effective!

8 Likes
4 Likes
8 Likes

Figured trump’s DHS would just tell folks to “walk it off”.

4 Likes

So, press briefings without audio or video recording

and (thanks Xeni)

We are so screwed.

16 Likes

So like, just jotting notes down (hey! calling all shorthand stenographers!) and maybe courtroom sketches?

Maybe we should be glad the press gets any access to these “briefings” at all.

7 Likes
3 Likes
4 Likes

35 Likes

This would work for those who can quote the Bard from memory. A small minority these days, I suspect! :smile:

9 Likes

Better to be that which we destroy, than by destruction dwell in doubtful joy?

9 Likes