Ongoing coronavirus happenings

Proof that other orange hominids are much smarter than the one currently living in the White House.

24 Likes

In case you didnā€™t click through my link:

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever heard someone sound so soberly presidential as President Donald J. Trump did today at his coronavirus briefing, but then again, I am a goldfish and I have no recollection of anything that happened more than three seconds ago.*

(Alexandra Petriā€™s headlines are often a littleā€¦misleading, it is part of what makes her writing so funny.)

11 Likes

Infographics, infographics, infographics:

7 Likes

ā€œActual Lizard Person!ā€

Nice :grinning:

8 Likes

And just a quick reminder that as bad as this is, and will be, there are actors out there actively trying to make it worse.

21 Likes

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/hidden-mortality-in-spain

For instance, in the autonomous community of Castile and Leon historical averages would predict 500 deaths between March 17th and March 24th. But there were 385 more deaths than would be expected. Official COVID fatalities, however, were only 112. So the number of unexplained anomalous deaths, which are presumably tied to the COVID pandemic, are more than twice the number of those showing up on the official COVID tallies. The authors note that some of these deaths are listed with more generic causes like pneumonia. Others were cases where doctors suspected COVID-19 but there was no test confirming the diagnosis.

11 Likes

At least he used his 15 seconds of fame well.

11 Likes

At the early stages of the pandemic, he sent his family members the following message by email:

ā€œNew Rules Regarding Visits to Mom/Grandma/Aunt:

1. Donā€™t stop seeing her completely, but see her less often rather than more often.
  2. Anyone who comes for a visit must begin by going to the bathroom and washing hands with soap for at least 20 seconds, after which they must apply a disinfectant to their hands.
  3. No touching, handshakes or hugs.
  4. Mom/Grandma/Aunt sits in her chair, everybody else on the couch or in a chair, at a distance of at least a meter.
  5. Avoid touching things she uses, such as coffee cups.
  6. As you know, Mom/Grandma/Aunt catches every cold, as well as the annual flu. This time, weā€™re taking it seriously. This is a presidential decree!ā€

Five days later, March 14, GuĆ°ni updated the rules and sent them out by email:

ā€œAll visits to Mom/Grandma/Aunt are prohibited. Patti will bring her food and other necessities. Should anyone want to bring her something special, he or she must contact Patti.

Presidential decree number two is hereby in effect.ā€

23 Likes
23 Likes

A sloth of golf carts.

14 Likes

Iā€™m sure our government will step up too. Maybe Pence can head the task force.

:bitter_tears:

ā€œYour code phrase is 1 Peter 2:18-25.ā€

6 Likes

Wanna bet they show up anyway? Or get exclusive WH interviews where everyone comiserates how ā€œnastyā€ the ā€œfake mainstream pressā€ are?

22 Likes

QAnon continues its metamorphosis from a fringe conspiracy group to a domestic terror organization.

20 Likes

Sheā€™s been awesome.

Deserves whatever journalism awards apply for calmly asking the orange asshole important questions and not backing down.

16 Likes

I havenā€™t seen the NYT article, but on the subject of ā€œbiased data representationā€ being used as a proxy for saying ā€œpeople donā€™t careā€:

I can afford to buy enough food (and store it!) in one shot. Some people canā€™t do that, either. So after a few days, they drive more than 2 miles (which, when youā€™re rural is nothing) to get more.

26 Likes

The Gray Lady has fallen, and she canā€™t get up.

11 Likes

Waitā€¦a ā€œguiseā€?

Coronavirus Cases:

view by country

Deaths:

Recovered:

For cases with an outcome, it is a nearly 20% death rate!

1 Like

Social Media ruins everything: Masque of the Red Death cancelled:
https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/01/coronavirus-retreat-california-harbor-wealthy

20 Likes
14 Likes

The Great Material Continuum will provide.

17 Likes