Ongoing coronavirus happenings

On trend.

6 Likes

Maybe a bad time to plan a cruise?

9 Likes

Cheap and I presume effective.
NB: I am not an MD.
I’ve been buying mine for slightly more from the grocery store.

Vitacost Vitamin D3 Mini Gels – 5000 IU - 100 Softgels

(current price $3.89 / bottle, 5 Mar 2020) (for some reason OneBox is not displaying)

https://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-vitamin-d3-mini-gels-5000-iu-100-softgels

I think it’s still a flat rate of $5 shipping. Subscribe to their emailing list and get their periodic 20% off on entire order discount codes.

My family and I do have darker skin than some folks, and as such, have been professionally advised that our ability to make “the sunshine vitamin” as we work outside in the actual [Texas] sun is not as super-efficient as humans with less melanin. Thus, the D3 supplements, esp. in winter when we cover up more of our skin surface area.

Be well!

9 Likes
9 Likes

I am rather melanin deficient - If I lived somewhere sunnier, I wouldn’t even consider supplements. Today the sun is out, but we recently had a solid 10 days with zero sightings of that elusive yellow orb in the sky.

6 Likes

map

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/01/22/mapping-spread-new-coronavirus/

11 Likes

33 Likes
6 Likes
8 Likes

My friend in public health writes ‘the new coronavirus information yesterday was that there are 2 strains, with different fatality rates. The original “S” strain continues to spread through China, where the data was collected, and causes fewer fatalities. It is less aggressive of a pathogen. The newer “L” strain exploded in Wuhan, and appears to have been responsible for most of the deaths there.’

… and with it, sent me this link:

Population genetic analyses of 103 SARS-CoV-2 genomes indicated that these viruses evolved into two major types (designated L and S), that are well defined by two different SNPs that show nearly complete linkage across the viral strains sequenced to date. Although the L type (∼70%) is more prevalent than the S type (∼30%), the S type was found to be the ancestral version. Whereas the L type was more prevalent in the early stages of the outbreak in Wuhan, the frequency of the L type decreased after early January 2020. Human intervention may have placed more severe selective pressure on the L type, which might be more aggressive and spread more quickly.

5 Likes

don’t suppose we have any numbers on vapers, yet?

None that I have seen.

1 Like

Okay, that one’s getting printed.

2 Likes
8 Likes

Probably should just stop documenting every case, honestly. It is pretty much everywhere and circulating pretty much freely (isn’t that the WHO pandemic definition?) Wash your hands, folks.

13 Likes

21 Likes

In addition to being good advice, the replies to this tweet are a goldmine…

6 Likes

Elegant and time-honored.

:pray:

16 Likes

Once again, two confirmed cases in the ICU means probably dozens of other cases out there with less symptoms.

4 Likes

@KathyPartdeux, this may help the question about cash you asked earlier:

The WHO told the Telegraph that the coronavirus could remain on money for days after being exposed to it, and that people should avoid touching their face after handling cash.

“We know that money changes hands frequently and can pick up all sorts of bacteria and viruses and things like that,” a WHO spokesperson told the Telegraph. “We would advise people to wash their hands after handling banknotes, and avoid touching their face.”

11 Likes