Ongoing coronavirus happenings

https://support.google.com/docs/thread/33032242?hl=en

5 Likes

No, by ā€œourā€ he means the Trump familyā€™s personal stockpile to use as they see fit. Bribe, reward, punish, you know, their usual schtick. If the stateā€™s want some help, ā€œthey just need to be nice to us.ā€ :face_vomiting:

20 Likes
11 Likes

There is no cure, just supportive care until the bodyā€™s own immune system takes care of the virus. Infants and children are not seeming to be as badly affected, although there have been a very few deaths in this population. But yes, overall, the treatment is the same: fluids, rest, supportive care as needed.

27 Likes

Ugh. I know itā€™s really bad when you post something without comment right now.

Doc, do me a favour: tell your professional relations we donā€™t see them as heroes. ā€œHeroā€ is a stupid concept, anyway. We see them as extremely dedicated professionals, who will put other peopleā€™s lives before their own needs. And we will try to support them afterwards.

Iā€™ll do that personally with a friend of mine. Mentioned her in the R u OK topic, I think? Sheā€™s been off work taking care of her third child, prematurely born not a year ago. Sheā€™s now weaning, and in contact with her hospital employer. She knows she will either infect her whole family, or has to self-quarantine until sheā€™s immune. Sheā€™ll go anyways when sheā€™s called, and sheā€™s sure to get the call. Thatā€™s still not heroism, but dedication to a cause.

BTW, I am talking about Germany here. Have a look at our stats, our number of intensive care beds with ECO, and compare that with other countries. I canā€™t even begin to comprehend whatā€™s going on in other countries in which I have personally experienced hospitals from the inside.

12 Likes
4 Likes

Oh FFS. Data-driven? People in hospitals arenā€™t equipped to deliver the data you want, and they have fucking better things to do in many cases. Also, your data collection will be shit anyways since I bet you donā€™t have the capacity to even understand data standardisation.

I LITERALLY looked at the ECDC webpage minutes ago, and compared to a week ago they again changed their variable names, but thankfully now at least offer CSV and JSON files. I will not even look at the US CDC data right now, please someone else do that lest I get a heart attack.

4 Likes

A new Fox TV series: Slumlord Healthcare

7 Likes

Sure thing, will go check nowā€¦ Okay, says here they switched the data interchange format to PPT files so that the executives can follow along as well.

6 Likes

On the one hand she has to be concerned about her health and the health of her son. On the other, sheā€™s probably enjoying the fact that sheā€™s not going to have a weekly meeting with Boris hahaha

17 Likes

Why not? Whatā€™s wrong with calling heroes ā€œheroesā€? I donā€™t think itā€™s a stupid concept in this situation. Itā€™s just one way of thanking healthcare works for putting themselves on the line for the sake of others. And usually for working fucking, heroically hard in the process, while not being recognized enough, as usual, for their service.

10 Likes

Iā€™ve got a long ways to go to catch up on this thread, so apologies if this has already been said. I donā€™t think the bullet point about most of our work is not essential is either true, or a good point to try to make.
Thereā€™s a lot of people out of work right now that arenā€™t essential in that, if this task isnā€™t done today, it wonā€™t hurt much. But a lot of those jobs are absolutely essential. Especially people who work in places where people socialize.
A better point might be that a lot of clearly essential work is being done by people who are not properly compensated or respected for it. That is still a massive failure.

10 Likes

Much more coronavirus testing could be carried out than currently is at the Helsinki [Finland] and Uusimaa hospital district (HUS), according to the districtā€™s chief medical director, Markku MƤkijƤrvi.

5 Likes

My take? If A ā€œheroā€ is somebody who just does what they do because it needs doing, I guess so. None of us signed up for this, none of us are looking to have action figures made of us, and for the most part we just want to do our jobs and then got home to our families without worrying that we are hurting them. We dont want to sacrifice ourselves or anything heroic like that. We just want to do our jobs and stay safe. But when we cant do both, we do our jobs anyway. Thing is, that is not being ā€œheroic,ā€ IMHO, it is being abandoned as expendable. So the reason I object to the ā€œheroā€ thing is that it makes it seem less awful that we have to do our jobs with piss poor protection. Just my take. YMMV.

29 Likes
3 Likes
16 Likes

Feeling bad for the kids

21 Likes

Maybe Dr. Fauci can inject some facts into Fox News viewers? That would be true national service!

14 Likes

I think thereā€™s some serious cultural disconnect here so please donā€™t take offense.

First of all, theyā€™re just doing their job. From the inside, it doesnā€™t feel heroic. At least thatā€™s how Iā€™d perceive it. To a medical worker, theyā€™re not going above and beyond, theyā€™re doing what they are paid for. Thatā€™s not heroic. Maybe to you it is given the circumstances, but to many, itā€™s not. No offense intended, seriously. Itā€™s like a fireman rescuing a kidā€™s cat out of a treeā€¦ the fireman is that kidā€™s hero, but to the fireman, itā€™s a job well doneā€¦ nothing heroic.

Second of all, are they being treated like heroes? I know people cheer them on everyday at 7pm, but to me, it seems hollow. Again, this is a cultural thing. For me, I showed my appreciation when I gave most of my N95 masks to a nursing acquaintance back when people were saying only people who had symptoms and health care workers should have wear masks. That felt like the least I could do.

Iā€™d contribute to a fund that paid healthcare workers more if I could, but I donā€™t see that. If I could magic up more N95 masks or gowns or equipment, Iā€™d do that to support them, but I canā€™t. If I were a counselor or therapist, Iā€™d offer my services for free to support the psychological impact they are doubtless experiencing, heck maybe a government program should offer them that. All I see is ā€œclap for them at 7pmā€. If I were in their shoes, Iā€™d almost find it insulting. People are clapping for me, but I canā€™t even speak up about the lack of PPE or the stress without risking my livelihood? To me, Iā€™d find it almost painful.

8 Likes

I canā€™t determine from this story whether people who should be tested (people who have or had symptoms, people coming from high risk regions or environments) arenā€™t being tested, or simply that the health authority guidelines on who should be tested give a number that is below the current testing capacity. Unless you are aiming for a complete identify-and-isolate policy (as I think Iceland is), the usual thought is that there is no point in, for example, wasting an antigen test on someone with no symptoms, as they will probably come up come up negative but possibly catch the disease the next day.

2 Likes