Ongoing coronavirus happenings

So many more ships out there becoming floating morgues. Historians will have a hard time believing this was real…

26 Likes

Thanks for weighing in on the heroism question doc, it certainly explains why you don’t consider the life-risking efforts of workers like yourself heroic.

Even though you may not like it, I still think you are heroic, not only for continuing to help and even save others while being provided woefully piss poor protection, but also for taking the extra time to keep us here so well informed. I’m sorry if that makes it seem less awful to you that you as a worker have such piss poor protection. It doesn’t make it seem that way to me.

17 Likes
4 Likes

No, they’re not, and I think they should be. To me, calling people heroes is a way of saying they deserve extreme gratitude-- which in this case should take many forms. I do agree that they’re not getting that.

14 Likes
6 Likes

I really, really hope that’s a joke, but I’m scared to check and find out.

4 Likes

I have a close friend who is high up in hospital administration in one of the top hospitals in Chicago. She normally commutes in from the “greater Chicagoland area”, which means even with no traffic her home is about 40 minutes away: tough to stay awake to commute if you’re working 20+ hour days, plus 2 out of 3 family members at home have severe asthma. Normally in a highly critical situation at the hospital, she stays with us instead…but for this she can’t, because I am even more at risk than her asthmatic family members. So she’s worked out a deal with a hotel not too far away. Who’s paying for it? She is. She was part of the negotiations to get another, closer hotel to open rooms to hospital personnel, but they’re prioritizing nurses – for obvious reasons – so she doesn’t want to take up a donated room there. The reason they can (barely) afford the hotel is because they’re both medical and thus are continuing to get their salaries, and they live quite frugally otherwise. But she knows that she might never see her family again, if (when) she catches it herself.

That is what it’s like to be a hospital employee here in Chicago right now. And that’s administration, not even front-line doctors/nurses.

26 Likes

But that IS being heroic.

The actions of others do not reflect upon you. Your actions can be heroic while being treated as expendable, it might even be considered a common thread in heroic actions.

The article headline:

Calling health care workers “heroes” erases just how terrified and exposed they really are

And from one of my kid’s childhood books:

Bravery is what you do even when you are scared.

The title caption (in the program bar, not part of the article itself) on that article is a little different:

Health care workers during the coronavirus pandemic aren’t just heroes. They’re terrified and exposed too.

I’m sure I’ve got some biases. My wife is a nurse, my son’s best friend’s mom is a doctor in a nursing home, one of my best friends is a PA at a pulmonary clinic and is terrified of how many of her patients she’s going to lose over the next year.

So with all apologies, @docsoc, hard disagree.
The hero tag is what’s applied by those that can see it. The bastards in charge may mouth the words and not give any support, but for me:

So, thank you.

24 Likes

:sob:

20 Likes

Heres a hero and a true leader, who knowingly and willingly lays down his career for his crew.

Trump will never know what this even means, but this should damn well be the standard we hold our leaders to.

29 Likes

Does anyone else think this is a terrible time to have an academic debate over the meaning of the word “hero”?

6 Likes

And this is the tangible result of “leadership” as we currently are experiencing it.

17 Likes

Keep an eye on this. It may be because of the need to limit # of people in an office. But don’t be entirely surprised if it just somehow mysteriously stays this way.

18 Likes
29 Likes

Well shit. But also totally predictable. And on that fine note, I need to get back to work.

21 Likes

Another way to be a hero:

20 Likes
14 Likes

28 Likes

Indeed. Good thing no one here is doing that.

7 Likes

Quite a few good ones this week:

27 Likes