Ongoing coronavirus happenings

Is there an up-to-date resource that you would recommend for guidance on cleaning protocols? Our domestic situation is rather atypical in a number of ways, and I’m going mostly by my own ‘common sense’ and the basics of microbiology that I learned twenty+ years ago.

3 Likes

Saw this posted where I work today. At this stage in the game it might as well ask if you’ve traveled inside the United States, or better yet, “Have you recently traveled outside your house?”
It doesn’t dare mention the C-word, wouldn’t want to cause too much concern!

11 Likes

Interim Environmental Cleaning and Disinfection Recommendations for U.S. Households with Suspected or Confirmed Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

9 Likes

Probably the best for now:

(Note that this is an “interim” guide. As more data comes in, it may, and probably will, change.)

Auggh! Ninja’d.

Edit: Stubled across this list as well, not much different though

12 Likes

Caroline Radnofsky and Suzanne Ciechalski

42m ago / 8:24 AM EST

NYPD investigating Asian subway rider being sprayed with Febreze

A passenger refused to sit next to an Asian man on New York’s subway on Wednesday and sprayed him with a bottle of Febreze, the NYPD said.

Officers received a call about an emotionally disturbed person on an N train on Wednesday around 9 a.m., NYPD Chief Rodney Harrison said in a press conference on Thursday.

In a video of the incident tweeted by New York’s Metro Transit Authority, a man is seen shouting loudly at an Asian passenger to move away and not stand next to him. The man then reaches for an aerosol, which police identified as Febreze, and sprays the victim for over fifteen seconds.

MTA :heavy_check_mark: @MTA

What works in stopping the spread of Coronavirus:

1. Wash your hands for at least 20 seconds
  2. Cough and sneeze into your elbow
  3. Stay home if you’re sick

What doesn’t work:

1. Racism https://twitter.com/ItsCeliaAu/status/1235287380292235264 …

Celia Au :heavy_check_mark: @ItsCeliaAu
There’s not a single confirmed case of an Asian infected in NYC. Stop discriminating cause the virus definitely doesn’t. #racist #coronavirus

Embedded video

12:31 PM - Mar 5, 2020

Twitter Ads info and privacy

3,806 people are talking about this

New York’s MTA said the harassment was coronavirus-related, tweeting that good hygiene could stop the spread of the virus, but racism would not.

Officers from NYPD’s Hate Crime Task Force were reviewing the video as part of the investigation, said Chief Harrison.

And this shit does not help!

23 Likes

+1,000,000,000,000

24 Likes

“With its graphene filtration system the Guardian G-Volt is 99 per cent effective against particles over 0.3 micrometers, and 80 per cent effective against anything smaller, claims LIGC Applications.”

“For comparison, a N95 respirator mask blocks 95 per cent of particles over 0.3 micrometers. Viruses such as coronavirus can be transmitted through tiny droplets of water.”

3 Likes

I have to admit, as a gadget-a-holic, that is a kind of neat idea. But as a health professional, my pandemic-panic ripoff artist alarm bells are deafening. I would have to see some independent verification of the efficacy before commenting further, though.

18 Likes

Besides - there are already plain old N99 masks in production that are cheaper than the new proposed mask.

12 Likes

The WHO report mentions this. Say what you will about how the Chinese government handled the outbreak, but current indications show that the eventual response was surprisingly effective. What you won’t see in the US is people, for the most part voluntarily, staying home, not going to work, not traveling to see relatives, not taking planned vacations, etc.

12 Likes

AI-predicted protein structures could unlock vaccine for Wuhan coronavirus… if correct… after clinical trials

7 Likes

In a previous incarnation of my career, I administered a great many respirator fit tests in the industrial world. Primarily full face, but some half face as well. What I learned was that even firefighters in chemical plants often did not get a worthwhile seal on the first try. (But the vast majority did, which I cannot say is true for the bulk of the chemical plant workforce, which I would guesstimate to have been around 1 in 3 getting a good seal on the first try.)

Of course, we’re talking about a very different type of mask (North 7600 being a very common one if you’re curious), so I don’t assume that all the same truths apply. But I do frequently wonder what percentage of people are actually hitting anywhere near N95 every time they put a half-face respirator on.

(Don’t even get me started on the cleaning question… you probably just don’t even wanna know.)

14 Likes

There are many concerns with N95s, but my biggest is the false sense of security. Even to the point of hearing “I love having the mask, now I don’t have to wash my hands so much.” As I have said before, if you have a good fit, they are exceptionally uncomfortable. If you “love” them, you are doing it wrong!

20 Likes

I told a great many people that, too. Of course, we were using almost exclusively VOC cartridges; do modern HEPAs feel any less restrictive?

I had blocked out those experiences; pulling that duty was far and away the least enjoyable thing about my time in industrial safety.

But here’s a pro-tip for y’all that I just remembered: with full face respirators (maybe also to an extent with half face, but I have much less experience testing with those), the sizing corresponds much closer to the shape of your face than the actual size of it. Somebody like Pete Buttigieg might be able to pass the test in a Medium full face respirator, but might also get ten times the effective filtration, due to reduced leakage around the edges, wearing a Small.

7 Likes

My last experience with these of any duration was in 1995, and my vivid memory was initially, “This is not too bad.” As time went on, it became more and more restrictive until I was done about 30 min in. I assumed this was due to condensation in the filter, but really not sure. I do know that when you have to actually pay attention to breathing, time slows to a crawl and pretty soon you don’t think about anything else. In my job, that is a real problem.

12 Likes

Given a choice I’d use a PAPR, but you’d get more than an little side eye walking down the street wearing one of those.

5 Likes
9 Likes

Tick PA off the list

And getting loose in a megacity is not a good thing

10 Likes

FYI - Philadelphia Airport is half in Philadelphia County (whose borders coincide with the City) and half in Delaware County - where one case is reported.

Also - the PA Physician General in the video - Dr. Levine - has a trans history.

10 Likes

Be careful and wash your hands. No kissing and hugging strangers! Seriously, take care of yourself. The way things are going, we are all pretty much on our own.

14 Likes