Ongoing coronavirus happenings

A hotel in China holding about ~100 coronavirus patients in quarantine just collapsed and my guess is those deaths will not be counted in the fatalities due to the virus, thus monkey wrenching the epidemiology.

4 Likes

Not long for this administration, is he?

12 Likes

100%. Dissent presages departure.

2 Likes

For future reference, it looks like the first two U.S. deaths were both on Saturday, Feb. 29

https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-01-20-intl-hnk/index.html

If the total is doubling every two days, we may be in the twenties today and the thirties tomorrow

EDIT: According to this, the first two fatalities were on Feb. 26

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/03/us-coronavirus-deaths-climb-to-9-as-washington-state-confirms-new-fatalities.html

So, uh, given that weā€™re at 19 today

thatā€™s doubling every three days or so

8 Likes

Since Trump canā€™t fire a VP ā€¦ first get VP in the line of a deadly disease ā€¦

If Trump wins 2020 my guess is that Trump will push to amend the Constitution so that ā€œpresidentsā€ can remove a sitting VP ā€œat the presidentā€™s pleasure.ā€

7 Likes

Iā€™m assuming one should prepare by having some OTC flu type meds in your medicine cabinet? But what ones make sense?

4 Likes

Vitamin D? Although that is controversial, and likely not to work short term if it even works.

(Vitamin D discussion starts around 2:40)

5 Likes

I take a good multi - I was thinking more like Sudafed? Mucinex?Claritin?

Whatā€™s most on point for expected symptoms if one starts feeling sick? My clinic days donā€™t come in now - and what if I donā€™t feel up to walking to the CVS?

5 Likes

10 Likes

Itā€™s beaten the Pope.

9 Likes

If you have time, check out youtubes from recovered coronavirus patients describing their symptoms. (one posted below). Most of them start with severe fever spikes, headaches and shortness of breath, ā€¦but no upper respiratory or nasal congestion. That comes later. After that first harsh phase with the fever, it turns into this dry cough and wheeze, like pneumonia. So, anything with a decongestant is likely not to really be useful. But fever reducers, pain relievers, etc. can help.

The key though, is not to wait too long if your lungs hurt and you cannot seem to get enough breath. If you feel like you are short of breath, you are in serious doodoo. This virus coats the lungs and oxygen cannot reach the blood. You MUST get supplemental oxygen, so donā€™t sit around trying to tough it out like with other flus.

@docosc, please weigh in and correct me on anything - you are more qualified than I am for these opinions.

This is the guy I saw on the news last night:

He describes symptoms at around 0:40

18 Likes

7 Likes

Iā€™ve been feeling pretty crappy over the past couple of weeks with a mild sore throat, aches, and mild cough. I figured itā€™s seasonal allergies and/or a common cold, but with all the hysteria floating around these days itā€™s been extra stressful (which Iā€™m sure doesnā€™t help). Itā€™s good to hear that the onset is generally sudden and very much noticeable.

14 Likes

Nothing really curative, but elderberry seems to help shorten duration, ibuprofen decreases misery. And fluids of some sort. Dehydration is a killer, and leads to pneumonias.

13 Likes

No, you nailed it. There is symptomatic relief, but nothing much else. Supportive care with O2 and respiratory support, but that is a hospital thing. You need to get help when you need to get help is really the take home.

18 Likes

Yes, this one is a Mack Truck, not a general, hard-to-pin-down malaise. If you get this one, it will feel like hitting a wall at full speed and then being knocked on your ass for a couple weeks.

I had one flu vaguely like this one in 2014. I was in bed for 3 days solid; asleep (passed out, really) for 22 hours per day, only up to pee and drink more gatorade, did not eat anything. Family checked on me every few hours to make sure I was still alive, not wheezing, and to make sure I had a drink and a bottle of Nyquil nearby. I didnā€™t have the coughing and sneezing until after that first 3 day knockdown.

I imagine this virus is like that but far worse.

6 Likes

Roight! Chicken soup it is.

I actually do have trouble getting in enough fluid when sick.

8 Likes

Completely erasing the foundersā€™ original intention, that the presidential runner-up would be the VP, presiding over the Senate, as a counterweight to the President. Presiding over the Senate didnā€™t last the first VP. Runner-up was changed to a separate vote in 1804, and after CW1, the states snuffed out VP as a separately voted office. The only remaining relic will be the quirk in the Electoral College, as long as it lasts.

10 Likes

It was the Founders who changed the veep thing. I guess they realized that they werenā€™t infallible.

10 Likes

Basic homemade oral rehydration therapy (WHO has updated their formula a bit):

• 1 quart water (~1L)
  • 1 teaspoon table salt
  • 2 Tablespoons sugar

https://med.virginia.edu/ginutrition/wp-content/uploads/sites/199/2018/09/Homemade-Oral-Rehydration-Solutions-9-2018.pdf

16 Likes