Ongoing coronavirus happenings

kate stark vomit

16 Likes

Sure, yep, not getting to go to the mall equals genocide. Sure, ok, umm, so who is it being, you know, killed? These assholes need a little life experience, man.

17 Likes

I canā€™t be happy about that, but it should get lots of publicity. Lots and lots.

11 Likes

Itā€™s* reached us, finally.

* The moral bankruptcy of the American healthcare industry

13 Likes
15 Likes

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-20/white-house-tells-federal-workers-to-prepare-to-return-to-office?srnd=premium

Yeah but, the Governors have the last word you mothr fing moronavirus.

ā€œLook 'ma, I opened government!ā€

9 Likes

The last person on earth to learn asymptomatic carriers can spread the virus, is the first to send people back to work. This checks out.

This is a real game changer.

16 Likes

More to the point heā€™s full of shit, like DeSantis and the beaches. The fascist media parrot his lies in their headlines, giving him a ā€œwinā€ over the libturds, rather than pointing out that actually heā€™s done no such thing.

9 Likes

He looks like heā€™s got an existential dread translator there. The horror really comes across.

9 Likes

If that holds up, it makes a vaccine a really heavy lift and convalescent plasma pretty much useless. Leave us hope it does not!

17 Likes
9 Likes
13 Likes

I have known folks on disability, and support UBI in theory but in practice worry it will be cut down to the level SSI is, leaving folks on UBI perpetually on the verge of poverty. But I donā€™t have a good solution to that problem and think something is better than nothing.

I also caution to be suspicious of Yang style UBI which replaces (not supplements) existing social services.

5 Likes

I certainly wouldnā€™t want to trade one for the other. Why not both?

Thereā€™s a false dichotomy being spread about that either we let millions die from covid or presumably millions more will perish from the economic fallout from stay at home orders. There is a third option tho, we take care of people with some financial aid. The counter punch article makes a really good case for how this can work and dispels many of the arguments against the idea.

10 Likes

One of the reasons libertarians are so bullish on UBI is that they do want to replace social services with it, and then they can crow over their superiority to people who donā€™t use their money on the right things and then their children starve, or whatever.

6 Likes

And once itā€™s there itā€™s hard to cancel.

IIRC the NHS wasnā€™t always intended to be permanent but I could be pulling that out of my ass

2 Likes

or have to spend all their money on insulin instead of whole foods tuna steaks due to poverty induced diabetes. thereā€™s all sorts of ways UBI can go sideways, but itā€™s still better than what we have. we just need to be watchful

4 Likes

ā€œBe grateful, weā€™re giving you $20,000 dollars a year! Health insurance now costs $20,000 a year? Well, spend it wisely!ā€

8 Likes
8 Likes

Thereā€™s all sorts of ways military spending can go sideways, but we do it anyway.

8 Likes