Ongoing coronavirus happenings

He thought, “What would Jesus do?” And then he did what he knew Jesus would do.

But will he be my grandad?

1 Like

The NHS proper was always intended to be permanent, but its forerunners did include the wartime Emergency Hospital Services:

Which were meant to be temporary for the duration of the war, but even before the war was over, it was clear that the health system couldn’t go back to the pre-war system, which was already under heavy criticism. These emergency services ended up being part of the NHS, along with all the previous infrastructure.

20 Likes

The “no proof” seems to be the already-known fact that not enough time has passed nor studies done to prove lasting immunity.

Given the current knowledge of virology, I think betting on at least moderate-term immunity for most is still reasonable (though studies should continue).

There’s a significant difference between no proof the sun will come up tomorrow and no proof bigfoot lives in a modest Tudor-style home in Forest Hills.

16 Likes

As our nation continues to cover itself in shame:

16 Likes

26 Likes

finally, an appropriate location for a “don’t tread on me” sign.

15 Likes
5 Likes

36 Likes

Anybody surprised? Anybody? Thought not. Assholes all the way down.

22 Likes

To that end, Pai was able to get most of the internet service providers like Verizon and Comcast to sign a thing called the “Keep Americans Connected” pledge that said they would be super awesome during the COVID-19 pandemic. Well, since they don’t actually have to, it turns out that telecoms aren’t keeping that pledge.

NBC gives case after case of newly unemployed workers and recently furloughed workers who have found their services cut off, and mixed messages coming from their providers. Cleveland.com tells the story of a woman who had her phone cut off in the middle of a telemedicine visit with her brother’s doctor, even after she spoke with a representative who assured her they would allow her to pay off her bill with a soon-to-be-received disability check.

I’ve seen profiles suggesting that he’s a simpleton who believes his own nonsense, but it’s another case of “Stupid or Evil? Doesn’t matter.”

16 Likes

Ship of Fools

13 Likes
5 Likes

Death rate correlated to local pollution levels:

5 Likes

Well, a specific narrow subsection of oil prices, due to actual physical storage limitations. It’s a weird anomaly, not a broad trend.

4 Likes

23 Likes
20 Likes

The irony is that the massive media coverage of the minutia of this virus will act as a vaccine to many people who might have otherwise listened to antivax messages and agreed.

1 Like

I use dawn and seawater. The dawn is mild and won’t pull too much of the teak’s oil out and the sea water acts as a natural fungicide. You have to make sure and use a very soft brush and brush accross the grain, NEVER with the grain or you will dig out the softer wood fibres over time leaving the deck textured instead of smooth.

3 Likes

Trump Campaign idiots in Harrisburg are “protesting” and trying to kill you while these folks live in a factory trying to save lives.

25 Likes