Ongoing coronavirus happenings

Oh, I am not saying there isn’t some reasonable parts. But it’s also a perfect opportunity.

You’ve also got to wonder: where are the cups made and printed? Are they destroying them all, this year, or did they have trouble getting them?

It’s not fully out of the goodness of their hearts is all that I am saying.

12 Likes

it’s rare that i agree with 45. they are equally perfect. they are a perfect zero.

18 Likes

From the article:

Tim Hortons has also put on hold plans it had to give away 1.8 million reusable cups for free as part of its Roll Up the Rim contest this year.

The coffee-and-doughnut chain will delay the distribution of the reusable cups that were planned to be given away next week until later this year.

So they are at least hanging on to the reusable cups until a later date. I suppose they could also warehouse any single-use Roll Up the Rim cups that have been delivered, but that will certainly be an economic decision.

8 Likes
18 Likes

By the way, has anyone seen any recommendations on laundry? It is pretty well-known that washing machine in the US are cesspits of bacteria, especially for those who always do laundry in cold water using ecofriendly soaps. (There’s a microbiologist in Arizona who has made an academic career out of showing that your whole house can infect you, and the washing machine usually tests worse than the toilet.) I would think the problem would be worse with the coronavirus. Are laundromats going to turn out to be a problem?

3 Likes

Eep. Thank Dog for dryers?

7 Likes

Hopefully that will work. The only source I can think of for heat killing the virus is Trump’s theory that Spring will wipe it out.

2 Likes

Because the man had no history of international travel and no close contacts with anyone known to have coronavirus, the case is considered an example of community spread.

POLITICO confirmed that the man is not the person with coronavirus who attended the Conservative Political Action Conference last week in Maryland, or either of the two attendees of AIPAC’s recent Washington conference who tested positive.

10 Likes

You didn’t stock up?

I guess there’s always hot water.

3 Likes

I saw this from the CDC, on their page that @RickMycroft linked to above in post #534 (I’ll link again, even though the bbs doesn’t want me to)

“Page last reviewed March 6, 2020”

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Interim Environmental Cleaning and Disinfection Recommendations

Interim Recommendations for US Households with Suspected/Confirmed Coronavirus Disease 2019

Clothing, towels, linens and other items that go in the laundry
  • Wear disposable gloves when handling dirty laundry from an ill person and then discard after each use. If using reusable gloves, those gloves should be dedicated for cleaning and disinfection of surfaces for COVID-19 and should not be used for other household purposes. Clean hands immediately after gloves are removed.
    • If no gloves are used when handling dirty laundry, be sure to wash hands afterwards.
    • If possible, do not shake dirty laundry. This will minimize the possibility of dispersing virus through the air.
    • Launder items as appropriate in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. If possible, launder items using the warmest appropriate water setting for the items and dry items completely. Dirty laundry from an ill person can be washed with other people’s items.
    • Clean and disinfect clothes hampers according to guidance above for surfaces. If possible, consider placing a bag liner that is either disposable (can be thrown away) or can be laundered.

I was surprised to see that it says “Dirty laundry from an ill person can be washed with other people’s items.”

10 Likes

If a Hail Lady MacBeth with soap and warm water is good enough for the hands, then a laundry cycle with detergent and max temp seems reasonable. However, that was their interim recommendations, so have they tested it? Also, the important part would be not to recontaminate the load by brushing it against anything not part of the laundry cycle. They mention hampers, but general sterile procedures would be important. (Rub your nose with a contaminated glove, game over. Touch a door handle with a glove; touch it later with a hand, same.)

10 Likes

Worrying that I have read it a few places now, where it starts to get better and people feel fine and then it hits them even worse a day or two later.

12 Likes

Having had pneumonia after a bad flu, if you’ve been diagnosed with pneumonia, take the damned antibiotics!

15 Likes

Same here. Pneumonia fucking sucks. I ended up in the ER with a nearly 105F fever with an antibiotic IV drip. It was in both lungs, but really bad in my left.

I was out of commission for weeks and after several courses of antibiotics failed to lick it, I had to go nuclear with the quinolones to finally get better. I still don’t know how I got it so bad.

My lungs haven’t been the same since and that was some 5 years ago.

16 Likes

As long as people are using max temp and not just 110F, and using detergent with real surfactants (not some herbal concoction) then maybe. And if everyone else using the same machine does it too:
https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/technology/washing-machines-can-spread-dangerous-bacteria-from-one-load-to-the-next/ar-AAI6Ivs
(Of course, that’s bacteria, not viruses.)

6 Likes

Prevention people!

22 Likes

"Teenage Boys Stop Washing Hands"
Local kid heard saying “This is awesome!”

9 Likes

My LG washer has a “Sanitary” setting for heavily soiled clothes, diapers, etc. The wash temperature is “Extra Hot”, (75°C, 167°F). I don’t know how common this feature is.

Other settings default to either “Warm” (40°C, 104°F) or cold, but “Hot” (50°C,122°F) can be selected manually.

Even loading the washer would require extra care not to brush against the door frame.

5 Likes

16 Likes
12 Likes