Ongoing coronavirus happenings

Holy fuck that looks bad.

5 Likes

Me too. I looked for them too and couldn’t find them. I copied this graphic from a friend. Sorry about that!

2 Likes

Let me go try Yandex. One minute. 

I couldn’t find the original. But I found ten more different ones. (eek)

11 Likes

what a relief. My nose is running like crazy, my mind is plumbing the depths of despair, and I lack a fever. It’s something else.

7 Likes

I hope you feel better!!! Any sickness sucks.

5 Likes

Allergies, maybe? I don’t know where you’re located, but here in Minneapolis the snow has been melting away, and noses are running

7 Likes

For most viruses, bleach is better than alcohol, but only by a little bit. Surfactants like detergent are even better for this class of virus due to the nature of its encapsulation. Hydrogen peroxide and benzalkonium chloride are better still, but not as available. Deep UV light kicks ass, but can’t really be used on skin. It’s better for surfaces. Heat and pressure are great, but again, not usable on living tissue.

One thing to keep an eye on with bleach is sub-lethal treatments. Bleach at sublethal concentrations or exposure times can mediate passing of genetic material from one organism to another. I haven’t seen research on that for viruses, yet, but it’s been shown for bacteria, where it’s been observed that sub-threshold bleach concentrations passed antibiotic resistance from one type of bacteria to another. :astonished:

17 Likes

and that somewhat ignores the situation where the bleaches action creates the surfactant.It’s also literraly in the CDC guidlines for cleaning, so before we all try to one up each other on our chemistry or biology knowledge, take that into account:

For disinfection, diluted household bleach solutions, alcohol solutions with at least 70% alcohol, and most common EPA-registered household disinfectants should be effective.

Diluted household bleach solutions can be used if appropriate for the surface. Follow manufacturer’s instructions for application and proper ventilation. Check to ensure the product is not past its expiration date. Never mix household bleach with ammonia or any other cleanser. Unexpired household bleach will be effective against coronaviruses when properly diluted.
    Prepare a bleach solution by mixing:
        5 tablespoons (1/3rd cup) bleach per gallon of water or
        4 teaspoons bleach per quart of water
6 Likes
10 Likes

Cosplaying as the Mayor of Amity Island at a time like this?

12 Likes

Isn’t it already? For months?

AOC: “What virus?”

14 Likes

Meet outdoors - the weather is getting nicer.

Or - use the same protective gear most Americans have available to them.

8 Likes

Covid-19 is in the Faroe Islands. HOW?!?!
https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/685d0ace521648f8a5beeeee1b9125cd

This is gettting really bizarre - it’s like it’s being spread everywhere on purpose!
Everywhere except 
 Africa!!

4 Likes

Coronavirus: Nigeria confirms second case, Ethiopian resident in UAE infected

12 Likes
21 Likes

Silver Maple trees are reaching the end of their bloom. I know that’s been my runny nose source for a couple weeks now.

9 Likes
11 Likes

Needs more testing. :wink:

8 Likes

What’s the thought process here? Coke goes up your nose, ergo, it will protect you from this new virus? Does not compute.

8 Likes

Probably exactly that, along with some faff about jumpstarting or supercharging the immune system. Makes slightly more sense than thinking that bleach enemas can cure autism.

4 Likes