13 Likes

Senate committee is now trying to convince people to end the lockdowns early

6 Likes
5 Likes
13 Likes
15 Likes

How to Reopen Safely
  1. "The number of new cases has declined for at least 14 days;

2. "Rapid diagnostic testing capacity is sufficient to test, at minimum, all people with COVID-19 symptoms, including mild cases, as well as close contacts and those in essential roles;

3. "The healthcare system is able to safely care for all patients, including providing appropriate personal protective equipment for healthcare workers;

4. “There is sufficient public health capacity to conduct contact tracing for all new cases and their close contacts.”

Dr. Caitlin Rivers, a researcher from the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security who co-authored the document, spoke about safely reopening during a hearing with the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Wednesday and said that, while her comments were her own and did not reflect the university, there are no states that currently meet all of these criteria.

27 Likes

“Hm, that’s odd.” They don’t know what it is, but doctors are hypersensitive right now to anything out of the ordinary.

14 Likes

US shelves CDC detailed guide to reopening country.
Was supposed to be published last Friday, but agency scientists were told the guidance “would never see the light of day,” according to a CDC official.

15 Likes

So has anyone noticed that in the US COVID-19 deaths have a weekly cycle?

USAItaly_May7
Yup
 the 1 week moving average of daily deaths goes right down the middle.

Couple of observations. The “Italy is 3 weeks ahead” observation is a little stale, but I note that they have at least experienced a drop in death rate where the U.S. has plateaued just below 2000/day. Italy, this week, is re-opening some factories, but not schools and only are considering restaurants for June 1. Proportional to population, Italy is still experiencing a death rate comparable to the U.S.

So, call it the end of July for the U.S., but only if you want to follow the Italian example. :thinking: (And, as far as I can tell, the Italians are not suppressing their experts.)

Needless to say, the U.S. response has been found to be less than inspirational in the rest of the world. The following article made the rounds a couple of weeks ago, haven’t seen it here yet.

(Non-paywalled text here.)

18 Likes

Where did Britain go wrong?

Um
 where Britain went wrong is pictured to the left of the article, and resides in the house pictured

11 Likes
20 Likes

Interesting research into reducing cytokine storms, but hold off building those garage dialysis machines for now. (Especially you Elon!)

9 Likes

Thursday, May 07, 2020

I Got Nothin’

I suppose I really don’t. It’s a horrible situation and even the supposed “good guys” at the federal level, who don’t run things entirely but who aren’t entirely powerless, have shown know signs of having any sense of the catastrophe that is unfolding. “No one” panics unless stonks are tanking, and the Fed is making sure that doesn’t happen.

As long as “the market” is happy, rich people are happy, “everybody” is happy.

4 Likes
7 Likes

You know what?

Fine.

I’m done with these bigoted, hate-filled murderers ruining everything.

Let Mother Nature show them who’s really the boss.

8 Likes
21 Likes

Alas, it’s always other people they hurt.

17 Likes
5 Likes

Ya think, Kemp? Asshole. :fu:

23 Likes

I am truly sorry to report that we need as many people to vote blue in November as possible, no matter how scumbaggy they are. I regret even having said this. The future is hard to stomach if we don’t get rid of Grift Inc. and Cult45–and btw I am including Mitch McConnell in that herd–ASAFP.

Could it be that this woman Carole, a Trump voter, could possibly be changing her mind about Trump? Heavens to Betsy and pass the butter. Let us get her to the polls to vote blue post haste!

November 2020 needs to feature overwhelming U.S. voter turnout. In Hays County, Texas, I have stood in line to vote next to a guy who wore, and I do swear this is true, a “fuck Obama” t-shirt (written in Sharpie marker, very classy!), and I lamented the repugnant tenor of public “discourse” or what passed for such. The bitter truth I see is that we need everybody to vote the bastards out [assuming we still have a functional democracy, and yes the electronic voting system in the U.S. is itself immunocompromised]. I get it. Vote anyway.

COVID-19 and politics and our fate have become more intersectional than I could have imagined.

Hard no to this.
This shit’s gotta stop. Now.

ETA:

Mother Nature will have her way. She always bats last. Perhaps the Trump voters who are ill or passed away will not vote for their master, but

^ this.^

Hard work ahead. May we be equal to the tasks before us.

20 Likes