Ongoing coronavirus happenings

Among the dwindling number of people who give a shit about him.

4 Likes

10 Likes

Huh?

17 Likes
6 Likes
7 Likes

OK, before I post this, a warning. DO NOT seek out the video trashed in this takedown. DO NOT allow your friends to convince you to watch “this courageous persecuted scientist” (she’s a crook and incompetent to boot) but if someone brings it up, you can at least be prepared. I shall now post a takedown of a virulently antivax idiot’s film about the Covid-19 pandemic.

You are now prepared.

21 Likes

Apparently the valet had symptoms yesterday, at which point Trump and Pence were retested.

They don’t understand that the average incubation period seems to be about 5 days, with a range of 2-14.

It’s like thinking you can take a pregnancy test 5 minutes after having sex.

26 Likes

My mind insisted on reading that last word as “arrested.”

Hope is the thing with feathers, I guess, that never stops at all.

22 Likes

great. so they’re willing to lockdown the report, but not us.

who. does. that. paper. know?!

pretty sure, the only thing left of government a year from now will be the newly opened trump monument on the washington mall, and this paper in a locked box in an undisclosed location

4 Likes

it’s more than suppressing experts.

first, italy’s lockdown was harsh. not just self isolation and business closures as in the us. by “reopening” italy has begun to look like nyc is right now. and very few places in the us ever reached the level of quarantine that nyc has.

in the same vein, georgia and flordia re-opening is business as normal just 25% capacity and maybe wear some masks if you wanna. italy re-opening is definitely most definitely not that.

last two items. italy has a contact tracing program established. we don’t have a national one, and most states do not have their own adequate replacement. and italy has testing capacity where we do not.

these numbers are not necessarily directly comparable ( it doesn’t specify/distinguish between tests given and people tested ) still italy’s probably testing 10-20% more people ( per capita ).

we’re on our own special trajectory now

17 Likes

41 Likes

NPR ATC just interviewed a general in Pentagon leadership who said there was a draft memo circulated, he’d first seen it an hour ago, it’s just a draft, and parts of it make no sense.

Then the host (Ari) asserted that people who’d already had it, like sailors on the carrier TR, would be less of a risk to the military mission, implying having had the virus would make you less likely to get it again, because of antibodies or whatever, which we don’t actually know (right?).

5 Likes

I’m hearing from a lot of increasingly restless fellow USians that they’re sick and tired of this lockdown life, and they think it’s unnecessarily “ruining” the economy and the country, etc. These aren’t “Gimme my freedoms back!” Trumpkins.

It gives me a bad, fearful feeling that a second, bigger wave of deaths is coming, but most people here will just come to accept that as just another unfortunate cost of “modern” life, like deaths from car accidents, shootings, or smoking.

18 Likes
14 Likes

Aggravated assault and battery, at the very least.

These people need to be arrested and held without bail. It’s the only way to make them actually have consequences for their actions.

17 Likes

23 Likes
13 Likes
18 Likes

@docosc:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.18.20071134v1

Have a look. Interesting study, because non-interventioned community. Some caveats given in the study.

In a high school, with no interventions (i.e. no social distancing), and a fixed end of contact (due to vacation!), around 40% of people got infected. Group differences are given.

ETA: again, caveat emptor everyone, this is a pre-print.

6 Likes

Smokers had a lower IAR compared to non-smokers 7.2% versus 28.0%

IAR infection attack rate

In epidemiology, the attack rate is the percentage of the population that contracts the disease in an at risk population during a specified time interval. It is used in hypothetical predictions and during actual outbreaks of disease.