Ongoing coronavirus happenings

They’ll streamline the process after the prototype.

10 Likes

White House spokeswoman Kayleigh McEnany said Friday that the documents had not been approved by CDC Director Robert Redfield. The new emails, however, show that Redfield cleared the guidance.

inconceivable! she said she wouldn’t lie, and then she’s caught lying!?! it’s only been like a week.

thee ap must have gotten something wrong. /s

not necessarily. they’ve got families and whatnot too. they’re going to take their lead from the oval office though. and trump and pence have put masks off limits.

[ edited for spelling ]

17 Likes
8 Likes
8 Likes

That does look kind of high-end, but I suspect even most of the lower income schools have pretty good (although less flashy) procedures.

4 Likes
18 Likes

Meanwhile, my idiot neighbors in Tijuana continue to defy quarantine recommendations; mingling, drinking, and partying on the weekends. They are not stupid in the fundamental sense, they just don’t give a fuck about anyone else.

20 Likes

Covid-19 already kills in Brazil more than any disease, aggression or accident. The growth in the number of deaths has led covid-19 to cause, in the last ten days of April, an average of daily deaths higher than any disease or external causes in the country, according to data from SIM (Mortality Information System).

14 Likes

Ironic Bolsonaro says that barbecue at the Palácio da Alvorada can gather up to 1.3 thousand people.

9 Likes

12 Likes
9 Likes

Quick! Put the genie back in the bottle!

17 Likes

Sometime in the middle of March, my 83-year-old mother — who had a part-time job as a grocery-store cashier — told me that I wouldn’t be able to visit her in her senior housing complex because it was being closed to guests due to social distancing.

“But you can still come and see me at Piggly Wiggly on Monday and Wednesday afternoons,” she said.

I felt my blood pressure rising. “Mom, if it’s too dangerous for me to see you at your home, it’s certainly unsafe for me to visit you at Pigs.”

She disagreed — but not because she was being otherwise exposed to so many potential virus carriers there. Rather, the news she consumed (a certain conservative news channel to be specific) had told her that liberals were overreacting to the threat.

21 Likes

“Mike Pence’s press secretary yesterday. She tested positive today. Can you guess which one she is?”

28 Likes

On that topic:

15 Likes

Man plans and God laughs

But for all its disaster preparedness talk, Morningside appears to have faced many of the same coronavirus inconveniences as the outside world.

Susie Ruiz, a longtime Morningside resident who recently sold her condo there, said the restaurant had converted to takeout-only during the pandemic and that the General Store—which sells canned foods and religious tchotchkes—had placed markers on the floor six feet apart to encourage social distancing.

Pam Burnett, administrator of Stone County Health Department, which oversees Morningside USA, said the county only had three confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus. Residents in the rural county might have an easier time maintaining a healthy distance than those in larger cities, she said. And while she declined to comment on Morningside, she noted residents in close quarters can protect themselves by washing their hands, wearing face masks, and keeping apart when possible.

Of course, social distancing can come as a blow to a close-knit community like Morningside.

“I was just down there a couple days ago and they have prayer teams,” Ruiz said. “It’s always been a place where people volunteered. There’s a sense of community, not like a compound, not like a cult, but just like any senior place, where you have all these people congregate. There’s Movie Night on Saturday. They’ve got Game Night. They’ve got exercise classes, stuff like that. There’s just a pulling-together, a sense of community.”

10 Likes

Omg, please make the stupid stop!

23 Likes

China is promoting coronavirus treatments based on unproven traditional medicines

Scientists say rigorous trial data are needed to show that remedies are safe and effective.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01284-x

10 Likes

Thursday, the dream died. In a Medium post, Sidewalk Labs CEO Dan Doctoroff said the company would no longer pursue the development. Doctoroff, a former New York City deputy mayor, pointed a finger at the Covid-19 pandemic. “As unprecedented economic uncertainty has set in around the world and in the Toronto real estate market, it has become too difficult to make the … project financially viable without sacrificing core parts of the plan,” he wrote.

In the history of bullshit, “oh thank God!” excuses… They have barrels of cash (well, Alphabet, I expect Sidewalk Labs has spent all their reserves on hookers and blow, I mean “app development”), so the pandemic could only make things cheaper for them.

16 Likes

Phew, at least our government would never do that.

23 Likes