Ongoing coronavirus happenings

I will admit I have nothing to base this on other than experience in the industry, but it feels very much like we’re using a field screening test and treating it like it’s a definitive laboratory test. It’s hard enough to get an uncontaminated nasal swab test right in lab conditions With highly trained staff… When you add in field conditions and (possibly) semi-trained staff doing the collection, it should be expected that there will be a high occurrence of false positives.

That said, if it’s reinfection, that’s really bad.

23 Likes

Keep on following your dreams and heroes folks.

11 Likes

Yeah, Vox seems to think it could be tough

14 Likes

These vaccines, however, are available NOW and are PROVEN EFFECTIVE, but only if parents actually get them.

26 Likes

Am I the only one who scratches his head at many of these examples?

Several if not all seem to play with the stereotypes. It feels like a comment on their opponents. The people with bleach containers are, of course, not drinking bleach but commenting on people claiming a supporter of Trump would do so.

This is a kind of trolling which should mean that they are able to think about what they are doing. They chose to be ignorant.

Like internet trolls, they seem to ignoring the impact on the reality (not the perception) of others.

7 Likes

Welcome to merica. They are totally owning the libs.

8 Likes
10 Likes

One thing that leaped out at me was “Oh, ME/CFS is real now? Funny, I remember when it was mostly women reporting the symptoms we were told we were just stressed and imagining it, and to push through it.”

Don’t get me wrong, I am ecstatic to see it treated as serious. But there are still far too many medical professionals who don’t. Who see fatigue as a state of mind or something to be overcome, rather than treated. “You need to get more exercise!” Well, I would love to, but I am so wiped out after work that I could cry, except crying takes too much energy that I don’t have. (The other thing I love about these guidelines is that they acknowledge that so-called sedentary work that requires thinking and concentration can also strain those energy resources. Yes, I work in an office, but it’s still bloody exhausting for me in a way that not working in one isn’t).

TL;DR: recovering from this motherfucker takes time, more time than a lot of people think. Go easy on yourself. Go easy on others. We still don’t have a full grasp of everything this virus does, except that there are myriad ways it will fuck you up. And stay safe (if possible, by staying home).

28 Likes
4 Likes

Leveraging DARPA?

ETA: not that this is necessarily a good idea when it comes to things like vaccines.

7 Likes

I seriously doubt it. Not in this admin anyway. DARPA is all about pie in the sky forward looking stuff, and people who were former DARPA, (e.g. Mudge), were making a lot of noise about how Trump failed to bring the Defense Production Act in to play, months ago, when it was needed.

(Futurists looking at the existing infrastructure and how to leverage it.)

Cheryl has more than a bit of background in science, and DoD as well.

Nah, this is posturing, and incompetence, as usual.

8 Likes

I congratulate the scientific health personnel of our country, who work in good faith and love to protect the health of the people. With them we advance in the production of Chloroquine Diphosphate, an effective drug for the treatment against Covid-19. Yes, we can Venezuela!

6 Likes

These walls built for coffins aren’t a rare sight in Latin American cemeteries, which are always out of space.

This pandemic and its very high death rate made the problem more urgent. The gravediggers are working to their limits in several capitals.

In the Caju cemetery, the largest in Rio de Janeiro, these structures are being built with a capacity for 12,000 drawers for funerals.

12 Likes

DARPA is who you turn to when you don’t want to lose the technology race against other countries in the long run, and being the one in front matters. There’s a lot of talent there, but this isn’t an outrunning those others outrunning the bear sort of contest.

2 Likes

Dulce et decorum est.

21 Likes

As always:

27 Likes

Where does that put us now? Not to put you on the spot, but you are quoting two NYT columnists, after snidely telling me not to trust the press, and I know there are a lot of rich people to blame for mishandling this crisis, but pinning its spread on them solely,

The press often doesn’t understand science. Care to bring the science?

(The “as always” you added in your edit speaks to my own political philosophy, but it says fuck all about how the virus actually spread. I can hold the two ideas separately, but I don’t like a discussion being bailed on with an apeal to emotion like that.)

2 Likes

Sorry all. Just timing.

No. That’s cowardly of me. I’m angry at one person, yet again. Not because of their overall beliefs, but due to something that I think is going to shut down, or already has shut down conversation in our country.

1 Like

25 Likes
6 Likes