Ongoing coronavirus happenings

My college made the decision to end in-person classes even though not one student, faculty or staff member has tested positive for coronavirus. Not sure it makes sense to describe that as “a day late and a dollar short” or “too late to have much of an impact.”

5 Likes

It’s way too late for Tucker Carlson to stop being wrong about everything

Those were riots to overthrow the evil Obama

Trump doesn’t want rioters overthrowing HIMSELF

12 Likes

How is a Payroll Tax Cut supposed to help with the economic crisis? Workers who bring home a regular salary from a full-time job are still going to be doing relatively fine from an economic standpoint. The people who are going to feel the hit deepest are the hourly workers and service/hospitality industry employees who work for tips and will suddenly find there’s a radically diminished need for their services.

The government should be focusing on helping to provide the things people can’t get for themselves, especially poor people with little or not health services.

Even in the face of a global health crisis the Republicans can’t think of anything the government might do for people other than offering tax breaks.

20 Likes

Obama nailed their position in 2012:
“Have a surplus? Try a tax cut. Deficit too high? Try another. Feel a cold coming on? Take two tax cuts, roll back some regulations, and call us in the morning!”

23 Likes

I mean, I can at least get how a payroll tax cut might theoretically help the economy in other situations. A middle-class person who suddenly finds a few extra bucks in their pocket might go out to dinner and a movie, for example.

But when the reason that middle-class person is avoiding restaurants and movie theaters has less to do with budget and more to do with a disease pandemic then giving that middle-class person a few extra bucks isn’t going to do much for the movie theater employee or restaurant waitstaff.

14 Likes

And sickpay so people stay at home. And free health care.

It’s a spending solution, not a cutting one.

Afterwards some stimulus wouldn’t hurt.

Edit:
Just out of a meeting and we are gradually moving all the bits that can go online to working from home. Though obviously “let’s all work from home” is the most middle class solution ever. Try doing the cleaning online with the laptop you don’t own.

14 Likes

Tax cuts fix EVERYTHING. That’s why Jesus advocated for tax cuts in the bible… /s

16 Likes
16 Likes

Evil AND stupid.
Fuck.

13 Likes

At least so says the prosperity gospel :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well, he dined with publicans and sinners, so he clearly equated tax collecting with sin.

3 Likes

The racism is coming from inside the House.

15 Likes

But then, wouldn’t he have to refund some of the $500k the Russians paid him? I mean, let’s be reasonable./s

2 Likes

employers owe and pay payroll taxes

they’re not withheld from employees’ paychecks

cutting payroll taxes puts money in corporate bank accounts, not middle-class pockets

16 Likes

I refer to society as a whole. Individual situations are just that, but overall, the horse is out and running.

8 Likes

The U.K. government’s four stage strategy to confronting Coronavirus explained:

4 Likes

It’s not the actual implementation, it’s the idea. Investors needed to hear that the Gov was willing to do something. Stocks closed up today as a result.

The follow thru? Well, I’m guessing it’s like trump never paying his workers.

9 Likes

In a time when the Ministry of Health actually tweets that no, Cocaine does not prevent catching Corona virus I have serious trouble not to make light of the situation, as laid down by Ken and others.

Seriously, what is left to do when fucking reality is the worst bullshitshow I care to imagine? How can I cope without hysterical laughter? The alternative is wanting to see the world burn for being as it is.

One must imagine Sisyphus as someone who’s not in on the joke, it seems.

ETA:

3 Likes

I wonder what Camus would have expressed about pandemics.

1 Like

It’s not so much making light of it (after all, laughter is medicine). It’s saying things like “the coronavirus pandemic is good, because [ x ]!”

[ x ] is invariably something that could be accomplished without the pandemic and thousands/millions of deaths.

10 Likes