Ongoing coronavirus happenings

Thread:

16 Likes

Currently, I am in the mood for extinction of our species. I even wonder if any pandemic event could do.

I also wonder if anything but a pandemic event could change the ignorant political and social approaches towards serious health risks.

But that’s just my personal little sophisms. In general, I am confused about the development as everyone, and as everyone I have very strong opinions about a lot of stuff I don’t know next to anything about. I know my limitations, but I also simply cannot cope with the level of publicly displayed ignorance.

I’m out, re-reading some lighter stuff. La peste would be appropriate, as @NoThisIsPatrick points out. But right now, I need some absurdities in the style of Adams. Or rather Fforde, since I don’t want to think about that one line about an unexpectedly dirty telephone.

4 Likes

For anyone still laboring under the delusion that this is all NBD…

15 Likes
23 Likes

To be fair, and correct me if I’m wrong because my bible fu is quite weak, Jesus did not have much truck with tax collectors…

(pretty sure if the above is true it was to do with him being a jew under imperialist occupation. And an actual fundamentalist, probably theocratic, rabbi. If Yeshuah Ben Yosef existed that is.)

3 Likes

Uh, Matthew was a tax collector.

10 Likes

Yeah, Jesus was way more down on moneylenders than tax collectors. And even Jesus was in favor of paying your damn taxes, what with the “render unto Caesar what is Caesar’s” thing.

11 Likes

Interview with Michael Osterholm

There are some who have said that this virus is only transmitted from the hand to the face and that’s simply not true. We have compelling data on influenza transmission, which this is just like the coronavirus in terms of ongoing transmission. And, frankly, hand washing may play some role in this, but not nearly as much as people think. It’s all about the air and the air you’re breathing

6 Likes
9 Likes

Someone in the Westminster bubble is infected

8 Likes

So, issued my first quarantine today, then came this:

https://www.sentara.com/harrisonburg-virginia/coronavirus.aspx

We have it in our own little burg. That didn’t take long!

26 Likes

They waited until the end of the article to drop that bomb.

I hate to use NY Post, but they seem to be quoting accurately:

The scientists based their findings on a Jan. 22 case of a person with the virus who took a long-distance 48-seater bus ride — and ended up infecting 13 people total, according to the SCMP.

Surveillance footage showed that the patient didn’t interact with others throughout the four-hour ride — but a couple of the people who became infected were sitting as far as six rows away, or about 15 feet, the researchers said.

One person who caught the virus hopped on the bus about 30 minutes after the passenger and the others who became infected had got off — possibly having inhaled tiny particles breathed out by the first group, the researchers said.

The initial carrier then got on another bus, where the virus jumped to two others, also sitting about 15 feet away, they said.

“The possible reason is that in a completely enclosed space, the airflow is mainly driven by the hot air generated by the air conditioning. The rise of the hot air can transport the virus-laden droplets to a greater distance,” said the paper.

16 Likes

bNiIRrb

12 Likes

You’re being facetious though. He was an ex tax collector when he was associated with Jesus.

The render unto caesar thing was most likely an attempt to avoid being killed for banditry while also criticising the Jewish collaborators with the roman imperialists.

What I think is pretty clear (his ideas on taxmen and taxation being pretty unapplicable to a situation where you aren’t colonised) is that he really fucking hated the rich. Not that this should concern Christians as he certainly wasn’t one of those.

I doubt he had much of interest to say about global pandemics either. His geographical range of interest was… limited.

4 Likes

Detroit Figures Out How to Charge Poor People for the Right to Not Die From Coronavirus

11 Likes

“a new study,” always a reliable source for news on science and medicine

6 Likes

Yikes!
Stay safe please!
You’ve been a reliable, insightful man-on-the-ground for us here.
Thanks for all your posts, and for your time.

21 Likes

Stop going to conferences, people!

15 Likes

23 Likes

It’s based on Chinese surveillance more than anything else, but it’s been pulled for now. (Based on Chinese totalitarian control?)

Note: The study at the centre of this article on the transmission of the coronavirus was retracted on Tuesday by the journal Practical Preventive Medicine without giving a reason. The South China Morning Post has reached out to the paper’s authors and will update the article.

10 Likes