Ongoing coronavirus happenings

Rachel Maddow’s response to Trump’s verbal diarrhea shpuld be required viewing. Especially for anyone still spewing “it’s just like flu” bullshit. 10-30 million Americans requiring hospital beds in a country that has a total of roughly 1 million. Total. Banning travel from EU does absolutely nothing to help us.

26 Likes

That proves it’s a left-wing conspiracy to make the president look bad. /s

4 Likes

Presumably it will be in the long run – or something similar, no guarantee the curve would be so symmetrical – and then there would be an actual inflection point, hopefully sooner rather than later. I got the strong impression that is what smulder was talking about when he said it could be very high. But it’s still hard to project where that would be from the data so far, as you can see from their post.

2 Likes

Right - now is the time to seal them in!

8 Likes

Jedrzejcyzk is no longer in good health.

12 Likes

I have a feeling that the ban – for what it’s worth – will only actually apply in practice to the unwashed masses (read: those not rich and connected). That couple now roughing it in their St. Tropez villa really, really need to get back to their Bel Air mansion in SoCal.

14 Likes

And hermetically.

7 Likes

from calculus:
given a function f(x)
the function will have a minimum, or a maximum when f’(x)=0
and inflection points at f’'(x)=0

The derivative of e^x is e^x … and so is the second derivative.

It makes no sense to speak of the maximum of an exponential function, and it makes no sense to speak of the inflection points-- the slope of the exponential keeps on increasing.

But the logistic curve is different. And in an epidemic, it make sense to note when the number of new cases starts to decrease.

Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning. Churchill

5 Likes

The NBA just suspended its season.

6 Likes

Studies done with D-class personnel…

8 Likes

I can’t even imagine the dollar loss with that decision.

Ouch

6 Likes

Plus shutting down Vegas, Disney World, etc.

It’s going to be a big bill.

10 Likes

Dude, where does data like THAT come from???

1 Like

One of the players (Rudy Gobert of the Utah Jazz) tested positive

3 Likes
4 Likes

A Chinese study on an infection incident, which has since been withdrawn for unknown reasons.

There are some advantages to a surveillance state.

5 Likes

I know but either it is a camera on the bus, or some lengthy questioning of everyone on that bus, who were tracked down individually… That is some serious data collection.

4 Likes

Apparently NYTimes has dropped its paywall, so people can access coronavirus info unfettered.

16 Likes

Yeah. Just cameras on a bus is no big deal, but they were able to get the data to an analysis unit, retrieve the identify of everyone on the bus, match it against the medical information of who was infected or not.

6 Likes

It’s unbelievable. But think what else we need. We need to know who got on or off in what order, what they touched, etc. It’s not as simple as being within 14 feet. There’s more to it.

2 Likes