Ongoing coronavirus happenings

Yes—it sounds like not for the entire website, but for coverage about the virus

Free Access to Coronavirus Coverage
The New York Times is providing free access to our most important updates and most useful guidance on the global coronavirus crisis.

6 Likes

That shouldn’t be hard for them. They have video surveillance of the whole trip, so they can watch that to see who touched what. Bus ticketing by smartcard or phone app, so they have logs of who got on and off and when.

Someone was smart to check for infection after the carrier got off.

An interesting question would be: How many similar analyses can they do in parallel? Was this a one-off effort or do they do this kind of tracking all the time for various reasons, with a suite of established tools?

eta: Bet your ass that I’m not riding the bus (1.5+ hours) into Toronto any time soon.

5 Likes

Kinda sounds like, “We know it’s not zero, and it’s probably not 100%, so, uh, how about 50%?”

I suspect @SocialMaladroit was wondering about stories like

4 Likes

Skeptical me wonders:

Is it possible that any of the data was made up, under pressure to come up with something?

How would they know for sure that that one person infected all the other infected people on the bus? Possibly some of them got infected by different people, off the bus?

2 Likes

Yes. What if the 14 foot person was already infected?

2 Likes

How would a 14 foot person even get on a bus?!?

8 Likes

In London, SURE!

3 Likes

Italy’s government has ordered all shops, bars and restaurants across the country to close after the country’s death toll from the coronavirus outbreak rose by 31% in the space of 24 hours to a total of 827.

:open_mouth:

7 Likes

Maybe. That could account for the study being withdrawn.

On the other hand, if they have Google equiv-tech fine-grain tracking with history of everyone (I’ll allow that), and no need for silly warrants, they could backtrack all reported cases and look for intersection points. (A hell of a chore at this point in the pandemic.)

Perhaps the study reveled too much?

5 Likes
15 Likes
12 Likes

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-surveillance-idUSKBN2011HO

9 Likes

It’s Daniele Rugani, not some reserve player.

The Roma and Inter games in the Europa League tonight have been postponed, and the Napoli and Juventus game in the Champions League next week are also likely to be postponed. I expect the UEFA club tournaments will be cancelled as there is too much risk from the games (Atalanta have already qualified for the next round of the Champions League, and I can’t see those games happening either)

8 Likes

Latest developments in Trump-is-a-moron:

He’s banned flights from Europe except the U.K. into America … but Europe has free movement with the U.K. … so Trump has effectively rerouted all flights to America from Europe to travel through the U.K. … just totally ineffective and stupid

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/coronavirus-us-travel-ban-trump-europe-travel-uk-speech-countries-latest-a9396086.html

17 Likes

did they meet the normal requirements for cdc testing, or did they get testing when so many others have not because of who they are?

3 Likes

They were tested while traveling in Australia.

13 Likes

Even bigger news in this regard is that Evangelos Marinakis, who owns Olympiakos and Nottingham Forest, has tested positive. He apparently has shaken the hands of many on both teams recently. (Fortunately, so far the team members have tested negative.)

Matches have eliminated the usual pre-match handshakes for the players on both teams, so the only time a player can transmit the disease is the rest of the match, when they are constantly grabbing one another. (I wonder if dive training will now teach players not to hold their faces when they are rolling around on the ground in simulated agony?)

8 Likes

Interesting article about exponential growth

10 Likes

I spend an hour yesterday trying to contact customer service to cancel an OSL-CHS flight I have scheduled. I wonder if this will make it easier or harder.

4 Likes

Well we aren’t there yet. But it’s not far off at this stage one can assume.

1 Like