Ongoing coronavirus happenings

Comes down to the fact that this is truly new and we just don’t have enough data to know how it acts. Will it die down in the summer? Will there be lasting immunity? At what point does herd immunity kick in? Way too many unknowns. People are working on those, but right now “we don’t know” will be heard a whole hell of a lot.

21 Likes

Yep. From everyone except Trump.

13 Likes

Can’t help but think insurance company and hospital systems upper-level vampires executives are salivating in their bunkers. Despite Hair Hitler’s bullshit claim that treatment co-pays will be waived, they aren’t (only testing co-pays and patients still have to me any deductibles). They’re about to make a windfall on the survivors and families of non-survivors. I’m sure a million-ish dead is a small price in their minds for padding their fortunes and portfolios.

11 Likes

Both these articles are absolutely mandatory reading. The points brought up are not going to go over well, but this is what we are facing. What healthcare providers faced in Wuhan and are currently facing in Lombardy is what we will face in Seattle and NYC in the next 2-3 weeks. This is gonna suck.

16 Likes

They are in Australia. If they were here odds are they would not have been tested.

15 Likes

Between the brush fires and covid-19, Australia has not been having a good year. Not that any of us have, but still.

13 Likes

Brings @chenille’s math lesson to life. Also, fuck.

7 Likes

And isn’t it still warm and close to summer-like in Australia?

If so, so much for the hope of warm weather tamping down this virus.

13 Likes

Can anyone provide an explanation on why UK is exempted from the travel restrictions? Is it just because they speak English and did the brexit or what?

9 Likes

Meanwhile, assorted Oz governments have spent the last week downplaying the risk and insisting that the Grand Prix should proceed as scheduled.

8 Likes

The UK has Trump golf courses. And is mostly white?

13 Likes

13 Likes
7 Likes
12 Likes

Honestly, watching the happenings in Egypt and Brazil, not places known for their cool temps, I had already largely lost hope for a savior summer, but again, we just don’t know. Hoping for a pleasant surprise, but not expecting it.

19 Likes

Because Trump is an idiot?

12 Likes

YMMV:. Try going on Amazon and ordering toilet paper. I could not find any available except novelty type tp!

2 Likes

7 Likes

As far as I understood, the travel ban affects the Schengen area. That does not include Ireland, Bulgaria, Croatia, etc.

Dear US, it was nice having you on our side for the last 75 years. Or 71. It would be nice if we could be working together in the future. Apparently, you aren’t that interested at the moment, which is understandable. In a way. Let’s do this better next time.

Sincerely,
A European

16 Likes

New testing shows the coronavirus can live on some surfaces up to three days, and can remain in the air for three hours. Ugh.

9 Likes