Onion editor regrets portraying Joe Biden as skeevy yet loveable uncle

tenor

12 Likes

The Onion is still around, I thought the new reality had put it out of business.

11 Likes

remember how well platforming on “anybody but trump” went last time, also, remember how things went the last time before trump that we had a presidential candidate who offered something new and different that everyone got excited about, plz ignore profile pic in this case lol, obama was better than most if also a little drone-happy and now trump has those drones see what happens when ur not careful enough :expressionless: ps, i know hillary won the popular vote, let’s not forget. but i mean, she was going against trump! should someone not have been expected to beat him by a landslide? this is trump we’re talking about… food for thought who really knows these days i guess

5 Likes

Would’t he be at worst the 4th best President elected since the 1970s?

on edit: disregard the elected, I forgot about Ford’s special status.

4 Likes

Biden is Hillary. Established Democrats will consider it his “time” and give him the nod to run against Trump. Never mind the fact that he’s not liked by much of the country. Never mind the fact that he’s a neoliberal. Never mind the fact that he’s unelectable. We’re going to end up with Trump again if we’re not careful. And probably even if we are.

24 Likes

There is a major difference that I think… policy wise he may be like Hillary and I’m sure that was part of the reason people didn’t like Hillary, but I feel like a huge part of her problem was right wing media treating the Clinton family like devils incarnate. People had a gut hate of Hillary that I think was part policy, part clinton association, and part sexism. Biden doesn’t really have those later two. In fact I think he benefits from the sexism one in the same way Bill Clinton and Trump do - it’s seen as machismo or cute by an annoying percentage of the population. The boys get away with it…

15 Likes

That’s in no way an endorsement because at least on the democrat side the people who like the machismo that the onion parodied are probably balanced out by the democrats who hate that and don’t care for him policy-wise either. I wish we could get out of this damn cycle.

5 Likes

Anyway if it’s really so easy for anyone to get elected whos not Trump, is that not all the more perfect reason to try for someone like Elizabeth Warren or Bernie Sanders? I think even Trump supporters would likely get behind them. They want something new that shakes up the system? Here’s a different new thing that shakes up the system that’s actually good. And not “different” as in “destroys everybody in the system because why not”

7 Likes

YMMV, but for my money, Bernie Sanders would be worse. Tulsi Gabbard would definitely be worse.

In polling? The entire Democratic field, I believe.

4 Likes

Think this dude thinks just a LITTLE too highly of himself.

As funny as the Onion can be, not a lot of people read it. Biden’s ability to re-invent himself is because 1) people have short term memories and 2) he looks scholarly compared to Trump.

8 Likes

It’s the staring-into-the-abyss thing, I think.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Delaware isn’t much of a state but when Biden won it by 100,000 votes that was 100,000 more votes than Howard Schultz ever got for anything

5 Likes

Sanders, Gabard, and Warren are the only ones with policies that actually address the nation’s problems instead of just quibbling about how fast we should make things worse. Their horrible Leftist Cultural Marxist Pollute Your Precious Bodily Fluids policies are somewhat to the Right of the 1950s and 60s mainstream on economic issues. And Sanders, at least, really does have measurable crossover appeal.

“Electability”? The DNC assured us that Clinton was the most “electable” candidate in history. They told us the 50 State Strategy wouldn’t work. They never challenge anything but the most vulnerable Republicans and have been undermining the Democratic Party’s influence for decades. So I’m kind of skeptical about the DNC’s Anointed One in pretty much any election except for 1996 and 2012.

15 Likes

If he doesn’t precipitate thirty years of war in an entirely new region of the world where we were not previously involved then he can’t be worse than GHWB

2 Likes

Meh. The neoliberal Establishment in the Democratic Party has never seen a war it didn’t go along with, or a mass surveillance, or a mass incarceration it wasn’t happy to begin. they didn’t start the Iraq and Afghan wars, but they continued them when they could have stopped them. And Hillary “It’s My Turn!” Clinton was responsible for the debacle in Libya with the complete cooperation of the Obama Administration.

10 Likes

But you know, like…they are still the “lesser” evil [sarcasm font]

1 Like

Call me crazy, but I’m starting to think of Onion articles as prophecy considering the world we live in.

8 Likes

You can post what you think we should know, or what would you think would be of interest. I follow British politics, and some European, but admit to knowing less than I’d like. Also, if things go even further south stateside, can we come stay with you?

3 Likes

Not policy. Two words: William Saffire.

1 Like