Oops! Fox's Jesse Watters "defends" Donald Trump in hush money case by accidentally describing the crime (video)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/23/oops-foxs-jesse-watters-defends-donald-trump-in-hush-money-case-by-accidentally-describing-the-crime-video.html

9 Likes

Remember back when pundits on Fox and other right-leaning news outlets thought that prosecution of a politician for hush-money payments related to an extramarital affair were absolutely justified?

I wonder why they all changed their minds…

21 Likes

Watters, the universal solvent, washes away all doubt. (still a punchable face)

3 Likes

What’s “Rules for thee, but not for me” in Latin? It would make a great motto for Fox and the GOP.

8 Likes

I don’t know, but I’d bet that the “serious” legal minds at the Heritage Foundation could tell you. Like this guy, for example, who is treated as a respectable legal scholar who most certainly didn’t do a full 180 on his legal analysis just because this time it was a Republican facing charges:

14 Likes

It’s only “illegal” according to “the law”, and we all know the law is biased against Trump.

/s

19 Likes

Jesse dropped two truth bombs in that clip. The second: “I guess the real crime is that Trump ran for President and beat Hillary.” Spot on analysis.

3 Likes

If I was inclined to be overly generous to Jesse Watters (which I am not), I might interpret his statement to mean “he was covering up the affair for personal reasons that had nothing to do with his Presidential campaign.”

Of course that theory doesn’t make any sense either, because Trump is a notorious serial philanderer who publicly bragged about his marital indiscretions all the time and never made any attempt to hide them until he ran for President. That’s why he hadn’t bothered to pay off Stormy Daniels years earlier. He might claim he was trying to spare Melania, but come on—she always knew who he was. That’s how they got together in the first place.

10 Likes

Most words for rules have other connotations, like precepts, so I would suggest using law instead: lex tibi non mihi.

9 Likes

Jesse Watters explaining the crime in plain language? That’s gotta be a little helpful for the current remaining sitting jurors, the ones he didn’t successfully out. :smiley:

3 Likes

Nice. It looks like it would still rhyme. Consciously avoiding an off-topic discussion of spoken Latin

4 Likes

I suppose this is entirely deliberate - because they know they can’t stop Fox viewers from (repeatedly) hearing the charges, the strategy is to normalize the crime by simply pretending it’s not a crime at all.

10 Likes

Fox News viewers, I think, hear only what they want to hear. They’re not getting the same messages, not even the ones clearly stated in clips from Fox’s empty-headed grifting hosts.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 Likes

“Rules for thee, but not for me”
“Lex tibi non mihi”
And remember, “Quod licit Jovi non licit bovi”

11 Likes
6 Likes

Republican logic is so flawed. It’s always a slippery slope, when wet.

1 Like

They’re living on prayers and thoughts.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.