Open source hardware, IoT motorcycle kit you assemble in a weekend

Yes!  

1 Like

Yes, the BOM has you using the engine, controls, fork, and rear light from an undefined Ducati.
Hang on, lemme grab the docs…

Oh, and the pegs and tank.
Shocks are Fox, exhaust is Cone, seat is an R6.

They don’t mention the other stuff, but it does rather look like they’re using the rear brake, swingarm and wheels off the donor bike as well…
…they should have probably called it an open hardware frame, yes. :confused:

6 Likes

i don’t care what fancy logos they put on their website. no concern for the buzzwords, stickers, etc

That’s a clapped out ~ 1999 Ducati Monster M900 that someone spent a lot of time building a new frame, bobbed (blech) the seat and rear subframe, and slapped some zoomy looking dashboard on it.

no thanks. I don’t want to build another custom just like everyone else’s.

please please finish the presentation with some half nekkid woman draped over it to sell it to us. NO thank YOU. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

A weekend isn’t even enough time to get an IoT coffee maker up and running, let alone a motorcycle

3 Likes

Well, goodness, give me the engine, controls and front suspension from my choice of Ducati, and I could probably build you a halfway-decent bike out of bananas.

2 Likes

It is, ironically, more illegal to 3D print and use a motorcycle from scratch than it is to manufacture and use a firearm…

2 Likes

Already obsolete- withself driving motorcycles who’s going to want to own or ride one of these?

2 Likes

Anybody who actually enjoys controlling a motorcycle?
The degree of involvement is part of the charm, personally.

Sheesh. So many cynics in here.

That’s why I stick around!

1 Like

I kid.

Part of my general skepticism regarding self driving cars.

1 Like

I know motorcycle buffs who would consider that perfectly reasonable.

just look at that…

2 Likes

“IoT” has replaced “The Cloud” at the top of the heap in the buzzword space. I expect to start seeing diagrams soon with little iot picturelets connected to the existing cloud picturelets, and lots and lots of virtualization.

1 Like

Ok, so I read the post and the comments, and spent some time on the site. As someone who has restored quite a few motorcycles, here are the issues I have with this-
If you have to buy a late model donor bike, then use most of the parts to make this, it seems unnecessary and expensive.
Having someone manufacture all of those parts is going to be expensive. And probably not as quick as they say.
Easily hand-bent steel tubes? For the frame? The tubing we use is heavy-walled, and nobody is bending it by hand. We have a hydraulic pipe bender. You can buy one just like it for $6,000.00.
Even once you get all the pieces together, and sort all the issues with the parts, nobody is going to get this together and troubleshoot it in a weekend. I could probably do the paint in a weekend, or the wiring. Or set up and do all that drilling.
The issue of registration is probably not going to come up, because you start with a perfectly road-ready bike.
The most interesting thing here is the software, but it there are already some cool programs available to do that stuff. I have old motorcycles, which have only a speedometer and odometer, and those are metric. So I use iphone apps for everything else. I also have old cars with modern engines,with hard and software solutions to convert the digital signals from the ECU to analog so I can use the 1930s instruments. Also (non open-source) touch-screen engine control and tuning.

I am running two of the above units now, They are completely reliable, and customizable way beyond my needs.
I am glad that they are exploring the concepts that they are, but right now I don’t see the cost/benefit ratio being favorable.
I would love to see someone with the disposable income to do one of these, and let us know the total cost, and long-term reliability.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.