Open source hardware, IoT motorcycle kit you assemble in a weekend

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/03/21/vrooooom.html

3 Likes

Is anyone else wondering why they used the “IoT” moniker in this context?

16 Likes

It’s just that easy!

5 Likes

My guess is there is a Raspberry PI glued in there somewhere. Looks like there is some App using AWS available.

Edit - Apparently an Arduino. That makes sense. (left hand side, just above center)

9 Likes

Adjust your dash lighting/color on the fly straight from your smart phone? Tune your baffle angles for the perfect rumble with one easy swipe?

10 Likes

Down at the bottom of a pit in the blazin’ sun
Torn and twisted at the foot of a burnin’ bike

All I wanted to do was turn my LEDs to red…who would have though using you cell phone at 70mph was dangerous…

7 Likes

an open-source … motorcycle

and

The website is very thin and short on details

Open Source … You keep using that word…

10 Likes

Shut up! Because it’s cool, that’s why. Besides, 3d printed, you know it’s 3d printed.

And I’m sure it’s totally secure, because we keep hearing about internet of things things being hacked. That might be a problem at 75mph. Tooootally secure.

EDIT: Wait wait wait. Fictive means fictional… right? Maybe this would be better in a week and a half.

7 Likes

I’ve got my design ready!

12 Likes

From the BOM, one of the brighter Arduinos, with logging for accelerometers, GPS, temp, etc.
One assumes it connects to your wifi when you get home for the “Internet” bit.

3 Likes

I’m not quite sure why they didn’t leave it on the site, but if you sign up to their list they offer a download of the parts through a link to their list-manager.

I don’t know if the list is complete, but the designs look to be a mix of machined Aluminium, sheet-cut steel, and bent steel tubing. There’s about 5 printed parts in there…

You’re using an Arduino for the dash and notional “IoT”, I suppose, and nicking the engine, controls, and front suspension from an unspecified Ducati.

4 Likes

Having just spent the weekend changing the oils, replacing the plugs, flushing/bleeding the front/rear brakes, changing the rear tire, and otherwise doing spring maintenance on my bike, assembling a roadworthy motorcycle in just one weekend strikes me as…optimistic. I wish them much luck in their endeavor.

12 Likes

[quote=“PerspexAvenger, post:11, topic:97432, full:true”]You’re using an Arduino for the dash and notional “IoT”, I suppose, and nicking the engine, controls, and front suspension from an unspecified Ducati.
[/quote]
So its “open source” status is equally notional if the difficult bits have to be salvaged from another motorbike.

2 Likes

Depends how the TAPR Open Hardware License works (I don’t know) - you could apply the same criticism to the various electronic modules attached to the Arduino, for example.

I would say “they’re giving you the designs for the custom bits and telling you how to put it together”, but… uh… they haven’t got to the latter bit, yet. :grin:
(I’ve also noticed a lack of things like “wheels” on the BOM, so that’s got a ways to go…)

1 Like

Word.

Sadly, the world is not Lego compatible, yet, and things never quite go how or where they’re supposed to.

5 Likes

First step is to buy a perfectly good motorcycle.

Second step it so disassemble the motorcycle, because you’re going to need all those parts…

11 Likes

How do you document and plate a scratch-built bike? Is there a process for that, or do you cannibalize a VIN and paperwork from a dead one?

1 Like

California has a set of rules that applies to custom built bikes, trailers, kit cars, &c. There are a few inspection steps and the CHP assigns a VIN.

2 Likes

That engine does look an awful lot like a ducati…

Looks like a early 00’s Ducati Monster. Did someone have a boo-boo with their frame?

1 Like