Oregon militia leaders complain about no Internet in jail cell

I’m weirdly okay with some jail internet access. Jailees aren’t convicted of anything, and I think it would be nice to offer up access to findlaw, wikipedia, and a number of other sites that may allow a defendant to assist in their own defense.

That being said, the entitlement here is staggering.

24 Likes

Oh the poor babies.

http://imgur.com/hlWdnB5

7 Likes

ETA - is the guy on the top left making a face, or is it just that way?

Pretty much just that way…He was in a accident as a child that left half his face paralyzed…

2 Likes

OH… now I feel a little bad…

6 Likes

Have any of those people in the conservative media who defended these jackasses weighed in on this particular Amon Bundy statement?

1 Like

Jail is a violent place, and you really can’t rely on the guards to protect you. Nor do you have much redress.

I mean, I’d really like it if the prison industrial complex recognized that incarceration does put an onus on the state to attend to the basic needs of a prisoner, but such things are not to be.

2 Likes

Had these good ol boys ever even heard of prison before?!?

4 Likes

That’s generally true of course, but in this scenario, Ryan isn’t complaining that he’s being beaten or raped. He’s complaining that he can’t talk to his brother and can’t have a gun or constant internet access. Those “needs” are quite a bit higher than protection from violence on the Maslow’s Hierarchy of Prisoner Needs that I just made up.

5 Likes

I wonder what happened to the dildos? Are they in some government evidence locker somewhere?

5 Likes

C’mon, these guys are political prisoners of conscience – Amnesty International should be getting involved to ensure their rights to firearms! Besides, if I don’t recognize your right to jail me, then it doesn’t count…

3 Likes

Much as I dislike these folks, I still think prisoners in general in this country should live in more humane conditions, including things like Internet access. Prison should be more rehabilitation and less punishment.

6 Likes

And of course, he has no constitutional right to the internet, in their view, either then… because, as many a strict constitutionalist would point out, the internet didn’t exist back then…

4 Likes

Sure they’d heard of it. Thats where all those “other” people belong…and it’s too good for them!!!

6 Likes

OK then

Violates first amendment. My same sex relationships are a sacrament to God and Jesus.

5 Likes

How will they ever check their Kickstarter?

1 Like

Can we send him another of these?

4 Likes

Same, but with limited access provided in the case of domestic terrorists.

Now that they’re (a) unable to continue causing trouble and (b) in a context where rape happens way too often, pretty much all the sex toy / lube humor has lost its funny.

8 Likes

I thought you were saying “White Christmas!” Only fans of sappy musicals get to make the rules? :wink:

Good point. I was thinking they’d left the other one in Oregon - not thinking through the whole thing.

3 Likes