Orlando cop fired after grabbing teen by hair and yanking her head

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/08/orlando-cop-fired-after-grabbi.html

6 Likes

FFS, I have to be the first one to say it?

Hmm… there’s something about the relative melanin levels here that just doesn’t quite surprise me…

and the reference to the crowd as “stupid little children”… if only there were some historical precedent so that we could form some opinion on white guys in authority referring to minorities with a pejorative that would infantalize them…

29 Likes

What are the use of laws if they’re ignored? Asking for a president.

17 Likes

I didn’t know there WAS a line that a cop could cross that would result in getting fired on the spot.

29 Likes

Don’t worry, he’ll soon be rehired by the cops of the next town down the road.

29 Likes

“Sidney, this is the 18762nd time this year you’ve pulled this shit! And this time there’s [expletive] [expletive] [expletive] video! You burned up your LWP. Sorry, we have to fire you.”

“But…”

“Look. Talk to Harry in the next county. Tell him to give me a call.”

16 Likes

If he unloadedhhis service glock into her, he could have claimed he feared for his life.

14 Likes

Which is why they’re withholding his name.

This is a non-exemption to the same sunshine law that is so broad that it spawned Florida Man.

14 Likes

Hell, they’re probably intending to re-hire him themselves.

15 Likes

His face is clearly visible. Withholding his name is only going to invoke the Streisand Effect.

13 Likes

He’s not grabbing her hair, he’s grabbing her headscarf. So, it’s even worse.

7 Likes

"The deputy who was fired had been hired in February from another law enforcement agency and had previously served as a school resource officer in North Carolina, Mina said. Mina said he was withholding the man’s name so he would have time to inform his family of what had happened. "

from: https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/crime/os-ne-orange-school-resource-officer-removed-after-inappropriate-force-20191108-efwod23yu5az5i4xl2lt6dbk4y-story.html

Taking after the catholic church, I guess. Got a problem ?, shuffle it off to someone else.

23 Likes

Hesitant to like, but yeah.

1 Like

I’m saying it as an indictment of the fucked up way police departments value the comfort of their officers way above the lives of the people they’re supposed to be serving.

8 Likes

If someone grabbed his daughter like that…

2 Likes

truly an exemplary and outstanding example of human sophistication and empathetic behaviour towards others.

1 Like

Maybe cops should be allowed to just walk away… and let ‘whatever happens’ happen.

1 Like

I’d rather have cops who are fearing for their lives run away than kill unarmed black men.

I mean, in this country it is legal to own a gun, and it’s not hugely difficult to get concealed carry status if you aren’t actually a convicted criminal. So if cops are fearing getting shot from just pulling people over, maybe there’s a huge problem with the availability of guns in this country along with chickenshit cops.

21 Likes

So, isn’t that an unusually appropriate measure by Orlando county, seeing as cops regularly murder people without any repercussions?

3 Likes

Perhaps the game changer in this case is that the violence was recorded and then shared via social media for all to see?

3 Likes