Orlando mayor urges residents to limit water use because hospitals need oxygen for Covid patients

Oregon is in COVID crisis right now. ICUs are full. People are dying in ambulances driving around from hospital to hospital trying to get in.

One of the larger regional hospitals released this infographic

40 Likes

Cross-posting from covid thread, but important to note that everything is local here. Undervaccinated areas in well vaccinated states are in trouble as well.

38 Likes

I’m sure this was already said, but I had some heat exhaustion earlier today, and don’t feel like skimming the thread:

Maybe stop using the LOX to treat the water until after this crisis has passed. Yeah, stinky water sucks, but it won’t kill you.

18 Likes

& @Bondo One of the things to bear in mind with Oregon’s numbers is that patients in low-vaccination areas in Southern Oregon and Eastern Oregon live in areas with, like, 5 ICU beds per county, vs metro areas with high vaccination rates and a hundred-or-so ICU beds per county. So one factor that comes into play is that COVID patients in far-flung areas are transported 4-5-6 hours in an ambulance to metro area hospitals, severely affecting their prognosis.

33 Likes

Xindi Florida|nullxnull

21 Likes

Yeah, I know. I just felt that a wall of text about the idiosyncrasies of Oregonians politics and population distribution buried the lede - unvaccinated people are the ones filling the hospitals, ICUs, and morgues.
Their bodies are only in Portland Hospitals because we have the most capacity plus the only level 1 Trama centers in the entire state. Eastern Oregon probably splits between Portland and Boise.

Also, Medford has a pretty good sized hospital - it serves all of southern Oregon.

13 Likes

Definitely. And I’m glad that Gov. Brown is taking it seriously, even though our rates aren’t as close to as catastrophic as states that are most definitely NOT taking it seriously. Because that’s how we avoid joining them…

15 Likes

I hope you’re feeling better.

6 Likes

And then there’s me, likely living there before the end of 2021!

23 Likes

You’re moving again?

14 Likes

So, “third world” problems?

13 Likes

So it goes!

22 Likes

But… you’re not exactly ‘upgrading.’

My genuine sympathies.

23 Likes

“Seems lateral, but okay.”

Stay clear of low bridges with that rental truck.

26 Likes

We don’t always get a choice in where we go in life, sadly.

22 Likes

Ain’t that the truth, and then some.

17 Likes

I went the opposite way a few years back.

10 Likes

To be honest, using LOX for water treatment makes a lot of sense. The oxygen is used to create ozone and that removes many contaminations and can make seriously undrinkable water potable. Unlike chlorine it does not leave a taste or any residu. (Chlorine in your tap water means your water company gave up…)

You want safe and cheap water without a huge upfront investment? You buy an oxygen ozone generator.

But you can’t stop doing this on a whim, clean tap water is essential for many (bottled water is expensive!) uses and without it another health crisis could happen. Nobody is helped by that. Building another water treatment system costs a fortune and would take years.

The real problem is that somebody, somewhere should have been responsible for securing such an essential supply line. Oxygen is not that hard to get…

19 Likes

I think long-term unless Floridians grow gills they will all be moving.

8 Likes

If I were a deep one
Blub blub blub blub blub blub blub blub

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s0MY7jF8htA

3 Likes