Orlando mayor urges residents to limit water use because hospitals need oxygen for Covid patients

If worse came to worse

The phrase is ‘if the worst came to the worst’.

I assume this mayor checked that the oxygen delivery system/containers used for water treatment is/are supplied by the same supplier that supplies the hospitals?

Of course, the real PR opportunity was buried: “Dear Floridians, if you want to keep seeing potable water come out of your taps, you must get vaccinated and wear masks.”

10 Likes

That graphic is as clear as it gets. If people still don’t understand why they need to get vaccinated then there is nothing that will convince them.

2 Likes
6 Likes

They see it as fake news. Utterly deluded.

“There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know.”

11 Likes

I think this is a much better approach. It will make the cost of the pandemic tangible for doubters. Also the call to restrain water use will just add another burden to the dutiful. The deniers will break out their slip and slides at this proclamation.

8 Likes

@orenwolf you have my sympathies. The plus sides I found in Florida: 1) Amazing thrift scores. 2) The Dali Museum in St. Pete. 3) Ybor City, the historic district in Tampa. 4) Supercheap movie matinees with AC.

11 Likes

I learned it as “If worse came to worst.” That is, “if things go from bad enough to bad as can be”

8 Likes

You’re also correct (and your version does make slightly more sense) - Cambridge dictionary seems to think both are acceptable…

4 Likes

which one?
the guv’s mansion in Tallahassee, or his Ocean Reef Resort home in North Key Largo?

8 Likes

8 Likes

Well too much sun on my neck, but i got that green stuff and it feels better. Other than that and a little too much sun on a few other parts, I am no worse for wear.

I’m not saying it doesn’t make sense to use it. It is just if there is a shortage, forgo using it for a bit. That is, assuming the reason given, was to remove odor. Odor that while annoying won’t hurt you (my parents had fairly nasty water for awhile when they were re-doing the lake dam).

If it is used to actually make water safe vs just smelly, then I guess they will have to keep using it.

Depends on the use. Some water usage is wasteful and should be curbed anyway.

Closer to Disney world. And giant pythons! I hear you can make some money trying to find them in the wild.

6 Likes

Everyone has their own priorities.

8 Likes

Of course, the companies that sell ozone treatment have stressed and will continue to stress the heath effects.

The most important thing to note is that it is ALWAYS worthwhile to get your water tested as H2S poses a serious potential health risk including nausea, vomiting, and other serious health effects.

The florida heath depatrment says

Sulfur bacteria are not harmful. In most cases the rotten egg smell does not relate to how clean the water is in a well. However, in order to make sure well water is safe to drink, it is good to have your well water tested for total coliform bacteria or E. coli on a regular basis. These bacteria may cause gastrointestinal illness, like diarrhea, stomach cramps, or more serious medical conditions.

The knock on effect will be that masks washed in smelly water might also smell, reducing compliance with masking guidelines.

6 Likes

The stinky sulfur water is perfectly safe to drink. It’s just an aesthetic thing. When I was a kid in FL whenever the water was too sulfery, we’d just let it sit in an open container for a day or two.

6 Likes

Nevertheless, you will have complaints, because COVID-19 cases will keep going up, people wil still keep watering their lawns (it’s an aesthetic thing), and eventually the city will run out of Lox for its ozone treatment.

3 Likes

Our new retirement plan is to hold out for another year or two, the go pick up some nice cheap real estate in florida. There should be plenty by then.

4 Likes

Florida’s natural state:

Alas, so many of Florida’s environmental problems stem from an attempt to drive out the swamp and replace it with none of the biologic diversity.

17 Likes

Really? Given the parameters and context the Orlando mayor is dealing with?

Citation, please.

Chlorination is a cheap, historically reliable way to sanitize water that has to travel more than a few feet from a wellhead, water main, or conduit from a treatment plant or surface water etc., to point of consumption, like a kitchen tap intended to supply potable water.

My community well supplies my water. I live in a hot climate. Without chlorination at the wellhead, the water arriving inside my house would contain organisms that could make me sick.

For chlorine-free water, we dechlorinate it at point of use, with a filter rated for taste and odor (aka a “Brita”-like filter or RO system). And our filters are in the shower, the kitchen sink, and at the hose bib when we water plants outdoors and don’t want to kill soil biota with chlorine.

If our community had an unlimited amount of time, money, reliable electric power,

and space,

perhaps community-owned water supply infrastructure we have depended on for ~40 years could be re-engineered but

… will only keep the water sanitized in a plumbing pipe for a very limited amount of time and distance, given our ground temperature. Maybe your proposal would be feasible at point of consumption, where an ozone generator could theoretically be installed, but that would mean one generator per household, and few homeowners in our neighborhood are comfortably knowledgeable about how to maintain such a system and there is no money to pay for a community ozone generator maintenance person. Not everyone is technically proficient. Not everyone is wealthy enough to afford the price of a water ozonator, or the electricity costs to operate it.

Cheap? Have you seen some Texas electricity bills?

Even after utilities “adjusted” their obscene bills, many of us in Texas still have costly electricity rates… so thank you but no.

Safe? until the electrical grid is down. Or until the ozonator breaks.
And you’d have to know it is broken before taking a drink of unsafe water.

United States Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Water, Washington, D.C., EPA 832-F-99-063. Ozone Disinfection. Wastewater Technology Fact Sheet. September 1999.

Source:

In fact, civil engineers have saved more lives, through clean water and sanitation systems, than all of the doctors in history.

Disclosure:

I have been working in civil engineering office with focus on water quality for 25+ years.

I am partnered with the former well manager of our community.

I have been operating and managing a community swimming pool for 15+ years, yes even during the pandemic.

I drink a lot of water. It’s fkn hot in Texas.

36 Likes

Making me thirsty!

6 Likes

It’s even more than a municipality but a weird state-within-a-state not unlike native reservations that contains multiple municipalities.

10 Likes